DCS

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by fl0at_, May 10, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

compare missile performance to public domain specs and get back to me.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think I've launched 4 missiles total, ever.

DCS for me is a Daylight Cockpit Simulator

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nobody but me on this forum knows that this is by far the craziest, batshit thing you've ever said. 4 missiles ever. WTF.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I know D is Dirty and S is Smirk. What does the C stand for?

5. fl0at_

I want to learn how to fly the plane, not just go straight in and throw missiles around. I still suck at doing an overhead break in the F-16, and I've got like 40 hours in it. I can't do ILS at night, rain, zero visibility.

I do these things. My most flown mission is a late afternoon hot on the ramp F-16 mission in Nevada. All I do is practice taking off and landing. When it gets dark, I practice doing ILS into Vegas.

6. fl0at_

No shit, me and a buddy got on line the other night, and got shot down by a 109. An AI 109. We were in F-16s. We suck at the fighting. Still learning the flying.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Digital Combat Simulator. It's a flight sim. Probably the most detailed military aircraft simulator available to the public.

8. fl0at_

Where people stack carriers end to end to try to land a F-5 with a parachute. It's that simulating.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've landed the F-86 on a carrier. Hater.

Stacking carriers is cheating, though.

10. fl0at_

Alrighty, I'm close to sticking it on the Stennis. Not easy, but at least a bolter is easy to recover from. Striking the back of the ship, though, still makes it hard to recover.

11. fl0at_

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sir, are you making a mockery of a very serious simulator?

13. fl0at_

Almost every time I play.

14. fl0at_

Finally got into the AIM-9 training in the F-16, and so I've been doing that over and over again. Got my first medal and rank, because apparently getting kills scores points.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, there is this annoying expectation of fighter jet pilots to be instruments of death.

I think the AIM-9 is an interesting weapon in that sim because of the many forms and what it means for relative performance and successful deployment. AIM-9x is all-aspect, so you really just need tone and if you are not rear-aspect on the target just give it a little lead sight. AIM-9M is also allegedly all-aspect, but within the sim it is best to not depend on that. With it, it is the same as above but you really should be somewhere behind the target's 3-9 line or panic-launching going into a direct head-on.

AIM-9's you get on the F-5 are not all-aspect, so the dogfighting skills really come into play and you want to be looking up their jet exhaust when you fire. This is really interesting in Cold War era setups where you are facing dudes in MiG-19's and 21's with very comparable loadouts but superior thrust-to-weight ratios. Usually Bluefor is doing the booming and zooming, but in that particular era/scenario, the tables are turned and the F-5 will sometimes have to respond to things being dictated to it.

16. fl0at_

The F-16's training scenario on AIM-9 is:

1. Rear aspect, tutorial says use the L as it's non-maneuvering. That one is easy, I fire once I can see the light of its dual burners.

2. Is head on, so I use the M (only have L and M on plane) I'm not 100% on this, and usually end up having to turn and get rear aspect. I'm going to try that lead thing.

3. A plane flying in a circle, so, the tutorial says I can choose. Simple choice.

By then I'm bingo and winchester, so I'm working on landing and then getting fuel and stores and then launching at the popups that then show up.

Last night, I landed, and tried to re-fuel, but I guess neural airfields won't give me stuff? No idea, going to try a friendly base next, and try to go after the pop-ups.

I want to only fire 3 missiles, but #2 usually costs me 2. Head on is tough.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has to be a blue (or red if your were redfor) base to get stuff.

18. fl0at_

IP likes this.
  19. fl0at_

Is there voice command software so I can work comms without having to hunt for key presses?

Edit: Found VoiceAttack and VIACOM PRO so I'm going to go with those.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have used VoiceAttack for all sorts of things for years, highly recommend.