Beds

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, no one over 180 lbs will be sleeping in the bed, so that Titan may not be the best fit.

I've seen positive reviews for Leesa online. Seen Tuft&Needle mentioned a couple times too, but can't remember what I read about it.

We are fully expecting to spend $1,000+, and I don't mind it at all if we get something great and durable. There are just so many options out there. It also doesn't help that I typically sleep on my stomach and side, and my fiance sleeps on her back and side. According to the information I read, we essentially need the opposite type of mattress from each other.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i bought a sealey at costco and it's definitely the best i've ever slept on

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Get a split king. Or just get two twin XL mattresses and a connector strip.

4. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Wife and I plopped down $1200 on one last month and I've been sleeping like a champ.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What'd you get?

6. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Sealy. I do believe it was the Katie Jane model, FYI there are 47,000 models of beds you just literally gotta lay on them to figure out what you like.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Does anyone use an adjustable base with their bed?

We went to Mattressfirm and tried out all the options. Everything felt mostly the same to me, but we were able to settle on one that we both liked. It was a traditional, medium firmness Stearns & Foster. Certainly not cheap but also not the most expensive option.

The biggest change to our plan was we tried the adjustable base (head and legs) and loved it. It adds an extra $850 to the price tag, but we are thinking it may allow us to just get away with just a headboard rather than an entire bedframe.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I might have an adjustable thingy, I don't know, it's a bed. When we bought, they gave us financing for something like 0 interest for 5 years, so the price wasn't much considered.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not really looking to finance anything right now with the closing for our home this Friday. Price isn’t really a huge concern for me - I’m just not gonna drop an extra grand or two if I don’t see/feel the value.

The adjustable base is motorized and remote controlled. I think you’d know if you had it. It can be used to raise your head or your feet, or both. So if you like reading in bed, you can raise the top of the mattress up to essentially sit up in bed with the mattress supporting you. It was a pretty neat feature and definitely made all the beds we tried more comfortable.

10. fl0at_

We purchased all our new furniture after we had closed on our home, when financing made no difference. We actually "purchased" our furniture a week or two before we closed, then came back and did the financing after the close, that way we got the best of both worlds.

Ok, then I don't have that. Nothing motorized. Beds at night are meant for sleeping. If I want to read, I have a couch. I'm usually asleep about 5 minutes after I touch a pillow, because I treat a bed as an item for sleeping.

justingroves likes this.
  11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How do you “purchase” your furniture a week or two before close, then come back after closing to do the financing? We are trying to buy now to take advantage of Presidents’ Day sales. No idea if they’d let us set up the financing in a couple weeks, but we also don’t really need it.

The adjustable base serves a purpose besides just reading in bed. I just used that as an example to explain what it does. He actually showed it to us initially because he noticed the fiancé crossing her ankles when she laid down. He said that’s a natural way to release tension in the back, and that raising the foot of the bed slightly on that base could correct that. The most comfortable we felt all day while in what would be considered “natural” sleeping position was with that base slightly elevating our legs and our heads/shoulders.

I just figured I’d see if anyone has one before I make the purchase.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

When you get my age and have some acid reflux stuff, tilting up can help greatly

cpninja likes this.
  13. fl0at_

You tell them you are closing on your new home, and you don't want anything to screw up financing, and you ask them if you can lock in the price today, and come back and finance it after close. They understand, they've sold furniture to tons of people who have had that issue. They either say yes, or no. Whether you need financing or not, if you can get 0% interest, there isn't any reason not to, unless you just don't want to have cash saved for a possible rainy day situation. I prefer to save cash, so will always take 0% financing.

14. Ssmiff

Yes 0% is a no brainer unless you are using a credit card, paying it off every bill and getting money back or flight credits.

15. fl0at_

That's how I do my credit cards. I pay the full amount, thus pay no interest, and still earn money for gift cards.

cpninja and IP like this.
  16. fl0at_

I haven't used a debit card in 20 years or something. Silly, if you have the cash already, get those points by using the old credit card.

17. Ssmiff

Yep. We put everything we can on Southwest visas, pay them off each month and get flights, plus use the companion flies free deal. Flew the family of 5 to Costa Rica a couple years ago. 4k value. Cost me nothing except the $50 yearly fee.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    IP likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So do you have the motorized adjustable base, or do you just prop yourself up with pillows?

19. Ssmiff

Yes it has a remote to it. Honestly i dont care for the mattress too much but after some beer and chili or similar I will wake up burning, tilt myself up and it helps. I'm also old

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I can give it a try. Just not sure they can even hold the sale price after the sale ends.

We've got the rainy day covered, and then some. We are buying this and other furniture with the $6k we are saving by finding someone to take over our lease, so it's money we never planned on having. Obviously more cash in your pocket is never a bad thing at 0%, but we also don't mind parting with it all up front.