Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I didn’t see anything that merited all that

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure where conversations about the whole "equal pay for women in sports" thing belongs, but I think we have talked about it in here because Megan Rapinoe is at the forefront of the discussion. Either way, this article caught my eye:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...ments-on-womens-sports-its-really-unfortunate

I don't really understand what the complaint is, with regards to the NBA vs. the WNBA. The NBA brings in a shitload more money, so NBA players get paid a shitload more money. What's there to debate?

I see Rapinoe talking about investment and media coverage. Does she truly believe that's the difference between the NBA and the WNBA? That if we devoted the same amount of money and media coverage to both, the WNBA would be just as popular as the NBA? That stance is absolutely baffling to me.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

Megan Rapinoe might be smart but she doesn’t play it on tv. No offense to her.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

But I came here to post this. CONCACAF.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Perhaps a shotgun is also only a yellow card?

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pulisic with 2 goals yesterday, and now McKennie with a goal today. Not bad.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Daryl Dike is an exciting player for the USMNT's future

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like our future looks the brightest it ever has in my life.

tvolsfan likes this.
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It has. Pray for Christian Pulisic's hamstrings. Otherwise, the talent is coalescing around ages 18-22 right now and should peak right about at World Cup 2026.

I wonder where that tournament will be.....?

tvolsfan likes this.
  10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh man that’s tournament expansion too, so we’ll have the distinction of being the uber-talented host country that got knocked out by Micronesia

tvolsfan likes this.
  11. Unimane

This crew is on a different plane than the last group. The only thing which could [uck fay] it up is management or injuries. The last group was carried almost solely by a teenage Christian Pulisic, who was 18 when they barely failed to qualify. That ain't the deal this time.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're pretty deep, though, too.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

How deeeep

emainvol likes this.
  14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’m a Vols fan, yo, I am always prepared for management to [uck fay] it up

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

When everything is deeep, the unit of reference is probably small.

16. Unimane

Especially in the midfield. We have a couple a lighter positions, such as left back and striker, but that midfield is seriously talented and deep.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

And even in the good cycles, our idea of depth doesn't compare to this situation. We have European club players that won't start or even make the roster. That's wild.

18. Unimane

Their argument is bullshit and you know, of most people here, I would be inclined to side with them. Well, I'll take this back a little. There were some things which were clearly unfair to the women's team in terms of facilities, per diem and such, most of which has been take care of now. They had a case there.

However, the pay thing is based on a few disingenuous arguments. One, they were offered the same deal as the men in 2016 and rejected it. Their deal, which they negotiated (grudgingly, they claim), is based upon any player called up getting a salary from the USSF, plus a certain number of benefits (health care, maternity care, etc.). The men's deal is based on a per game bonus. They argued if you took the men's per game rate and paid this rate by the number of games a year the women team's played then it was higher than the women's salary. They cherry pick the years on this argument and assume each woman played played in all games, as well as cherry picking the years of revenue between the teams (The last five years or so, the revenue has been relatively even, but this is the result of the men's team not making the World Cup, the event, I think, which allowed the women to start this process in full force.).

The result of the salary for each player who is called up also means the women who are a part of the national team is inherently smaller, since it is financially better for them to call in fewer players. The more players called in over the year, the more yearly salaries required. Meanwhile, for the men, the pay rate for each game isn't particularly meaningful, aside from a few scattered MLS guys who get paid scraps compared to the Euro-based players. In this sense, I understand the women's perspective in the national team is their main source of income and they want to fight for as much as possible. I'm all for athletes squeezing every penny they can from the higher ups. But, the tact, including the shitting all over the men's team when they operate in a massively different world, is off putting.

The worst part, though, the worst, is their argument about World Cup prize money. They demand the USSF pay them equally for World Cup performances as the men. Let me break this down. FIFA gets a certain amount of money from their World Cups, in the billions for the men and in the millions for the women. They then divvy up a part of this money ($400 million for the men in 2018 and $30 million for the women in 2019) according to a percentage, which is actually higher for the women. This meant that France got $38 million in 2018 for their federation and the US got, I believe, $4 million in 2019, which the federation then doles out to the players and elsewhere. The US women are demanding the USSF cover the difference FIFA doled out to the federation to establish them on equal status with the French team, money the USSF didn't get from FIFA. It's absurd.

So, anyway, there's more to this and my length here expresses my dismay at the methods of the women's team, which I find to be exceptionally disingenuous. They are looking to get paid, fine. They are portraying this as something which will benefit the women's game, which is almost entirely bullshit, and they are saying it's about equal pay, which is mostly bullshit. Their major beef is with FIFA, but they can only make the USSF pay in US court. So, they go after them. Meanwhile, every time they beat an amateur Thailand team 13-0 in the World Cup (While displaying some egregious sportsmanship. Yes, you Rapinoe), you hear this shit.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    tvolsfan likes this.
  19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If they want equal pay for equal work join the USMNT. Otherwise stop lying.

20. Unimane

There's a kid, Brenden Aaronson, who would be a star on any US team of the past. I don't know if he can crack the starting lineup on this team.