OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You think of it in animal units instead of head.

An AU is 1000 pounds so if you have a 1,500 pound cow you have 1.5 AU. Large cows are inefficient so around 900-1,100 lb cow is the sweet spot for grazing and production.

Virginia has poor soil as most of it has been washed away due to tillage as Virginia was the breadbasket of the soil before western expansion.

now look up what Joel Salatin has done at polyface farms with his carrying capacity and improved his soil depth and quality.

It’s not that hard to increase stocking capacity and production with proper management and improving soil health.

It’s easy to turn the table as say that the fake meat isn’t really solving anything either since we have a top soil crisis and its estimated that our top soil has less than 60 growing seasons.

I disagree with that because with proper management like no till and cover crop use with animals rotating on the lands between crops. We’ll actually build soil and increase the productive capacity of our lands.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many lbs of beef per acre would you like to consider?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, I laid it out. There are at least 3 different ways it just doesn't work to feed the world on beef.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

no one is saying that beef is going to be the only thing we feed the world but beef or other large ruminate animals need to be a cornerstone of our best practices for building soil health and increasing diversity.

I can give you a list of people that’s doing what you say can’t be done and they’re increasing the commons while producing food and increasing their stocking and holding capacity

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you think I'm saying something that is being done can't be done, you aren't following what I am saying. Many of the agricultural/grazing practices done have sucked. Improving them is great. No doubt free range grazing is good for the soil and good for diversity. How we got here was by extirpating most of the native ruminate animals and intensely farming. That has no bearing on the 90/10 rule, the population of the world, or the limits of the surface of the Earth.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It is fundamentally mathematically impossible for humans to greatly increase their consumption of meat, regardless of how much soil is turned over. We cannot support the herds necessary.

If we suppose that Americans eat 25% meat, but we need to get to 50%, we'd need to double our herd sizes, today. But then each day, we'd need to double +/- some additional amount based on a growing/shrinking population.

Since populations inevitably grow over time (or they are doomed to extinction), we essentially arrive that in order to increase our meat consumption, we must eventually run out of space.

It isn't a question of if, just when.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Fake meat (╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻

High meat ┳━┳ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

justingroves likes this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

cpninja likes this.
  10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Thanks Cliff, for the notes. Thought it might have been about cow farts.

11. NorrisAlan

They want $1550 a MONTH rent for that house across the street.

$18,000 a year in RENT.

R E N T

Wtf has happened to the world?

cpninja and IP like this.
  12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

If you go buy the 30% of gross income rule, that would be right in line with standard for US median income household.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Sounds cheap.

14. NorrisAlan

I guess I am way out of touch. Holy [uck fay]ing shit balls.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

At $1550 a month, based on interest rates today, that'd be right around a fixed interest, 30 mortgage for a $250,000 home, including property taxes in most locations in Tennessee.

Seems high for rent.

16. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don't know any details about this house, but I'd be shocked if you could find many family size homes (let's say 3+ beds) for much less than $1,500 in any decent size city that weren't pretty much dumps.

IP likes this.
  17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Would probably be north of $2000 per month if there wasn't the weird guy across the street.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Martin Luther, being Martin Luther during church announcement time -

[​IMG]

justingroves likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

“I will bless you myself, and you won’t thank me for it” is probably my favorite part

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you can't rent a studio for that little around here.