POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Didn't know about this until yesterday, but Mississippi upheld a life sentence for, basically, three strikes, where the third strike was marijuana possession above an ounce, and one of the strikes was classed as "violent."

So this is a failure of our legal system, and archaic States' Rights.

When one of the three strikes is legal in other states, and results in a person spending a large amount of years in prison... that's a failure.

And, in the event Mississippi legalized weed, and it will, this man will likely still sit in prison, since he isn't in prison for weed... he's in prison for three strikes.

https://apnews.com/article/mississippi-0e463c390bedc7f6b25fb7e54b955b74

JayVols likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This whole AOC, abuela, 100k go fund me story is what I think the kids these days call “savage.”

3. fl0at_

And what adults call childish.

A representative of government is making a broader point of about government spending, powers, citizenship and priorities... and some "look at me" people made it about themselves.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The representative can make that broader point without using her own grandmother to add a disingenuous personal element to garner additional support/outrage.

It was political theater, and the guy called her on it. It reminds me of:

upload_2021-6-9_9-37-4.png

I think the funniest part to me is that some media outlets are now accusing Walsh of "attacking" her. $100k is $100k. Take what you need from it, fix Abuela's roof, and then use the rest to help out other people facing similar issues in the area. Or, decline it, pay for your Abuela's roof yourself because you can afford to do so, like almost any other American would do, and then continue making your points without the theater.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That is shocking and almost never happens.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy, could you unpack how it is disingenuous?

7. fl0at_

And if she did not, and someone like yourself had said something like, "How would she know whether it was needed?" Would it still have been disingenuous to bring up a personal connection to her knowledge?

And if not, then why can't she just bring up the person connection from the beginning?

It is an attack, because it is the difference between obligation and charity, with children thinking the two are the same.

The US government has an obligation. Someone stepping in with charity does not remove that obligation.

Had the dude done a general charitable drive, and not made it personal to AOC, it would have rightfully been called "support." But he did not, and it is rightfully called an attack.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sure. I'm working off the definition "insincere and calculated."

Her use of her grandmother's situation is insincere and calculated. If her grandmother was really in dire straights, as AOC made it seem, she should be accepting the money. You do what you have to do to support your family. Alternatively, AOC, who drives a Tesla, lives in a luxury apartment in DC, and makes nearly $200k/year, could be helping her grandmother out financially, rather than expecting that help to come from the government. Lastly, she eventually mentioned that her grandmother is fine and had somewhere else to go. Then why use her as an example? The whole thing was just for show.

I don't doubt that there are quite a few people in Puerto Rico that are experiencing hardship. Trump may even be partially or fully to blame for it. I have no idea. But I do know that AOC is all about the theater, and this is just another example.

9. fl0at_

This makes no sense.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hunter Biden likes the n word, allegedy.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why are you making up my response? Had she not mentioned her grandmother, I probably would have read her statement, acknowledged that, yeah, PR hasn't traditionally been treated great all the time, and went on about my day.

Funny that you want to talk about obligation. That's the word a lot of us think of when we hear about the border.

Who said anything about it removing the obligation? Charity is charity. It doesn't affect on the obligation one way or another. But when one is truly "in need," at the basest sense of the word, it doesn't matter how that need is filled. The man who hasn't eaten in days doesn't ask "is this charity or obligation?" before shoving the food in his mouth.

She portrayed her grandmother as "in need," and Walsh raised money to fill that need. It just so happened that her grandmother wasn't truly "in need," so Walsh's charity only served the purpose of calling her on her bull shit.

12. fl0at_

I'm not making up your response. I am making up "someone like yourself." Ie: someone who can't read. Someone who can't do simple associations. Someone who can't understand that a point made at any point in an argument is a valid point when also made at the beginning.

Someone like you, as written. And yet still likely not understood.

Her point is valid, you're rating her purpose. But her purpose is unimportant, because there exists an obligation.

People talking about the border are arguing the obligation. You aren't arguing the obligation, but the messenger. If you want to argue whether we are obligated to Puerto Rico, then we're on the same plane as a border conversation, because of those that feel there is no obligation at the border.

It does matter how it is filled, because it is the difference between obligation and charity. If I'm hungry, because you are supposed to feed me, and someone else gives me a sandwich, it very much matters that you did not feed me. Very, very much.

Her grandmother's need is not fulfilled by charity, because the need is the obligation fulfilled. The OUTCOME of the need is the home, the roof, the sandwich, or whatever. But the need is the obligation.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Must be a Republican

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Hunter Biden and all the Trump kids can’t go away soon enough.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Isn't the point of what AOC said, specifically, is "my grandmother will be fine, but there are others"? I mean, this was the tweet I saw:

I find it hard to buy this idea she's being disingenuous. I find it even further ridiculous people would see this story to determine the part they want to comment upon is her grandmother rather than the situation she is clearly identifying. AOC "having a Tesla and a $200,000 salary" couldn't be more irrelevant.

Dudes like Walsh can go [uck fay] themselves. I mean, truly and sincerely eat shit as pimple on the ass of society. Here is a clear humanitarian issue and his response is "Ha! I've got her!", even though he really doesn't. The Fox News folks run with his story, ignoring the relevant problem of Americans suffering, still, from a natural disaster. It's infuriating from all angles.

IP likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Bs. She has the means to help but told everybody "you don't understand my role as her granddaughter in our culture".
    Utter bullshit by her

17. Unimane

The difference, of course, being that Hunter has never been a part of his dad's campaign or government, nor really kept himself in the limelight, while the Trump kids were made integral parts of their dad's campaign and government, while incessantly commenting on social media and taking interviews on tv to say the most insidious dumb ass shit. Well, aside from Tiffany. She's been pretty quiet.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Every family has a Hunter Biden.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you have completely twisted everything about what she has said and done in this context. She visited for the first time in over a year, saw a bad situation, and shared it specifically because there are others who don't have the support her grandma has (i.e., OAC and her family took care of it upon seeing the issue). Walsh's narrative is that the grandma needed charity, when that is specifically said to not be the case by AOC as she was using this as an example of what people there are dealing with.

20. Unimane

She, literally, said "her grandmother is fine" and she took care of her, but the point was to bring attention to the plight of others in Puerto Rico.

Instead, pieces of shit Walsh do a mock GoFundMe for her abuela, raising over a hundred thousand dollars. Does this money go to people in Puerto Rico? No, it has been returned to the donors. They said she rejected their disingenuousness, but did they find another way to see this money got to needy people in the island? Nope. So, they pulled a stunt to mock AOC, on false pretenses and purporting to help, and didn't give two shits about helping people in Puerto Rico.