POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If only she showed the same empathy for Americans.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who is not being empathized with? I will take this "L", as if I don't have Norris then I am probably off-base. But I am confused, as I do not see this as a tornado/hurricane event for Americans on the border. It's foot traffic to holding facilities.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

sarcasm warning - When put in charge of a problem the last thing you should do is to go see the problem.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Trump ran in 2016 on the border being overrun by rapists and murderers, yet Pence didn't visit the border until 2018, two years into his administration. I'm not meaning to do a whataboutism, but what exactly is the proper response here because it seems this is something people are [itch bay]ing about simply to [itch bay] about something the other side is doing or not doing?

Quite frankly, I do feel the problem is one best dealt with at its root, which is going after the push-pull factors, and the border visit is merely an ancillary component, an obstacle on the journey. But, I suppose I can see the political value in such a visit, the symbolism. I just see it as indicative of so much in our society and politics, an intense focus on the symptoms of an issue because it's easy to use as a political cudgel against the other party.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I guess it depends on where you think the problem lay.

Some people look at people streaming across the border, and decide the limitations of the border is the problem. Others look at people streaming across the border, and decide that where they came from is the problem.

So I don't think your point is valid. I tend to track problems to the source, not to the last obstacle. The source is the why and the where. The last obstacle is the border.

IP likes this.
  6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Biden taps VP Harris to lead response to border challenges

I do not remember similar headlines for Pence.

zehr27 likes this.
  7. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

My favorite one is when she went on CNN during the primaries and said that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were her favorite band. When asked by the host what her favorite song of theirs is, she couldn’t come up with one and broke out that nervous laugh.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I bet Flea hit that.

9. Unimane

So, who was tapped to lead border challenges and when did they visit the border? Pence was quite involved behind the scenes and Kushner, in another of his many hats, was the de facto leader of the border wall.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The fact that you do not know means there was not a big grandiose announcement putting 1 person in charge to fix the problem.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know Trump himself visited the border like 6 times as President. It didn't fix it and I am unclear as to why I should think it would.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think Trump put anyone in charge of the border challenges. He said he was building a wall and Mexico would pay for it. And here we are 2 billion dollars and a few more miles of wall later.

13. Unimane

The #1 problem he ran on in 2016? I looked it up that Trump visited the border, actually a military base for two hours, in August 2017, but the top priority for the administration should have had a top dog visit the border by June, I suppose, if this is a major criticism of how Harris is handling the issue.

Personally, as I said, I don't find a border visit very compelling, other than for publicity purposes. The real causes are elsewhere. I also think the verdict is out of Harris' job here since she's really just beginning on something which has deep roots and no simple answers. I don't see her job performance good or bad right now. Furthermore, as I stated to Ssmiff, I still find the issue to not be a crisis and more of a manufactured outrage because it's an easily manipulated wedge issue.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

He visited 6 times, I just looked it up. The last time was right before he left office.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Discussing the problem at the border is manufactured outrage? Was it manufactured when dems went with cameras under Trump and people raised hell? Or was it legit then due to political affiliation.
    I already know the answer so no need...

16. Unimane

No, you don't know the answer because you don't know my position on the detained children, nor seem to understand how I characterize "crisis". The border issues have never struck me as a crisis, merely issues to address, as I've repeatedly explained to you. The Trump policy was not an existential crisis, but a morally wrong approach to deal with a manufactured outrage common in American History, the fear of the foreign horde.

So, again, no, you don't know.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You just highlighted why one might consider the current outrage manufactured.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No I just pointed out, again, how things change for some people based on politics, and it's too often

19. Unimane

Except you didn't because, as I noted, I never have referred to any situation on the border as a crisis. I'm not even sure your example would be analogous since the "crisis" was treatment of children and this is a continuous border discussion.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

what changed is that now some have outrage at NOT going to the border, and it is decidedly those who did not care what was being done in 2018.