What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I bought Pokémon snap and Pokémon Sword from GameStop today, both pre-owned. Got a $30 gift card for spending over $100 on pre-owned games.

So I’m officially committed. The more I read about this Zelda game, the more I’m looking forward to it. I’ve read multiple reviews that say it’s the best game of the last decade.

Volsdude likes this.
  2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Never understand why the retailers don't make you prove you aren't a bot before checkout.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Gotten a weird bug in ME2 a couple of times where Shepard like turns sideways or something and I can’t aim the gun but usually fixes itself after a minute or so

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That happened to me in ME1 a couple times. He gets stuck and you can’t turn him. I think that I changed his equipment in menu and it fixed it, but that’s not exactly possible in ME2

5. JohnnyQuickkick

It happened while I was fighting the thresher maw and I think getting blasted by its spit or whatever fixed it

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I flipped the damned Mako at least three times in 1 and couldn’t get it unflipped.

Gotta give them credit for trying to truly recreate the experience, including the wonky shit

/s

7. JohnnyQuickkick

There is a lot of wonk for such a great series

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Then Bethesda showed them how it was really done in the 2010s

9. JohnnyQuickkick

my favorite Bethesda wonk is getting launched into orbit when you get killed by a giant in Skyrim

emainvol and Indy like this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Amazon is running a deal where I can buy a 12 month "Family" online membership for Switch for $34.99 and get a 128 GB SD card for free.

Are there limitations on who I can share the family membership with? I'm in Baltimore. Can my younger brother in Indiana sign on with the family membership? What about my roommate from college living in Indianapolis? Or do they limit you somehow with who can access the online features as part of your "family?"

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Check out what that really means. I think I've read where you still would need to buy multiple copies of some digital products, which to me would defeat the purpose.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The purpose, in my mind, is just to give access to other people to play online with my fiance and me. Neither my brother, nor my college roommate have an online membership, so my hope is that by purchasing a family membership, I can give each of them access to play online with me.

Does that make sense? I don't really know what you mean in your response. I wasn't planning to buy the family memberships in hopes that we could "share" digital copies of games. Is that what you were getting at? Like, if we are wanting to play Mario Party together, I was working under the assumption we'd all have to own Mario Party, even if we are on a family online membership.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, to clarify, the benefit of doing the family membership as opposed to us each purchasing a 1-year individual membership:
    • 1 family membership costs $35 and includes a free 128 GB SD card, which I will probably need.
    • 3 individual memberships would cost $20 each, for a total of $60.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah it’s the online features only. So they would get access to the online features like NES and SNES along with the stuff like Tetris 99, along with multiplayer and save cloud but those are the only real advantages to my knowledge. The only way to game share is to set yourself up as a secondary account on another Switch. The shared game can’t be played on two switches simultaneously, as it is account bound and you can only be signed in to one Switch at a time

The Switch branded SD card is normally 25-35 by itself, I believe. You can get a 256gb Samsung EVO that’s just as good or better for 30-40, or a 400GB Sandisk (which pretty much future proofs you completely) for 40-50 if you find it on sale.

So it will really depend on whether your family sub members will actually utilize the features. As far as limitations for who you can share the plan with, I don’t believe there are any.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If you don’t think you’ll ever go over 128GB and two other people will use the online features, it’s a great deal.

Switch games aren’t huge so unless you plan to buy them exclusively digital or buy a ton of games overall, 128 will go a long way

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm thinking 128GB will be more than enough. I've only got my eye on 5-6 games, and I'm not overly intent on buying them exclusively digital. Already bought hard copies of 2 and planning to get a 3rd later today.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, okay sounds like you understand what it is.

Indy likes this.
  18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I do recommend getting a good grip case and travel case if you plan to play a lot of handheld or take it on airplanes and such. It’s not the most comfortable thing to play handheld for long periods, especially if you have anything other than small hands

This is what I have and I love it. https://skullnco.com/collections/nintendo-switch/products/gripcase-bundle-for-nintendo-switch

A portable battery isn’t a bad idea either. I have something like this. https://bit.ly/3wzy4Y4

Lastly, for playing docked, get a Switch Pro Controller. It’s a fantastic controller.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I appreciate all the info.

I'll hold off on the travel stuff, as I don't really see myself using it in that way. But if that changes, I'll definitely circle back here for this info. My main purpose for buying a Switch is to gain access to games I can't get elsewhere. Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Sword, Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Mario Golf... I'm literally only getting a Switch because it's the only way I can play these games.

I was looking at getting a controller for the fiance to use when we play together, but I'm not sure it's necessary. The only games we plan to play together are Mario Party, which I've been told we can each play using a single joy con (I think that's what they're called?), and Pokemon Snap, which is a single player game we'd just have to take turns with. Outside of that, from what I've read, I won't need a second controller. Or are you suggesting getting one to use in place of the joy cons?

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It’s gonna boil down to how much you use the motion functions on the joy-cons, tbh. If you don’t find yourself using them a lot and have 60 dollars to blow, it’s worth it.

On the other hand if you just love them, stick with them. The exception being, if you are going to buy and play Smash Bros, def either get the Switch Pro controller (or a GameCube style if you want to be a boss)

Otherwise, you may enjoy playing with the single joy cons for multiplayer, but my hands are just too big for it.