What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know! I’m pissed. I bought it digital for $42, and the next day it went on sale.

Definitely recommend. It’s sort of like a puzzle game. It’s a lot of fun, and you can play it co op.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Only game I’ve bought but haven’t tried on the switch so far is Pokémon sword.

• Zelda BotW - Extremely fun so far. I stayed up late playing it Friday night, and my dad, who’s in town for the weekend watched for well over an hour. There’s just so much to do and explore, and they’ve done a great job of changing things up while still making it “feel” like a Zelda game.

• Super Mario Party - it’s a nice little game for playing with multiple people, and the mini games can be fun. But the boards suck ass, and the game itself feels completely fixed. I played a game with my niece last night, and I just had constant terrible luck for the entire 20 turns. Then the game just decided to give me 2 of the 3 special stars at the end, and I won. It just doesn’t feel like your decisions or the mini game results really matter.

• Pikmin 3 Deluxe - super cute and a lot of fun. It’s just a very laid back puzzle type game, with a fun story. Co op with the fiancé has been fun so far.

• New Pokémon Snap - it’s fun, but not as fun as the original. They’ve made it feel “grindy.” The more points you score on a particular course, the higher your “level” becomes for that course. The higher your level, the more comfortable the pokemon become, and you start to get new ones and they start doing new things. So you end up running the same course over and over, which is a lot more tedious than the original, which usually just required you to throw shot in order to unlock secrets.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What pro controller am I supposed to be buying for Switch? There’s like, a million options.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Different brands or different options from Nintendo?

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm pretty sure those are licensed by Nintendo, but not manufactured by Nintendo.

We have two of these and they work great:

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

We bought a couple of third party controllers and always had issues with them connecting to the Switch or staying connected.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure if it’s cuz I’m on mobile, but I’m not seeing anything to click.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hmm. Amazon must not sell it. I can find it, but it’s a bunch of random sellers. Or maybe I’m just not good at using Amazon.

If I go the GameStop route, I’ll probably just wait til July. I figured it was probably on sale, which is why I was looking to buy.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It’s usually 70. Gamestop and Walmart both have it for 60 right now. I honestly don’t know how often it goes on sale, but more often than most Nintendo stuff

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I picked up Yakuza Like A Dragon on sale on Amazon. I had never played a Yakuza game but love JRPGs and it’s more that style than previous entries. I’m enjoying it so far

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In that case, maybe I'll just buy it from GameStop today.

I'm juggling a $5 off online purchases coupon (no idea when it expires), a 30 "online only" gift card that hasn't arrived yet, and the monthly $5 off coupon ill get at the beginning of July, all from GameStop. So I guess my best course of action is to use the $5 online coupon in conjunction with the $10 off sale going on now. Then get Mario Golf in July, and apply the $5 July coupon and the $30 gift card for that purchase.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sounds like the new Mario Gold game sucks. Might just go the Super Smash route instead.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I've enjoyed mario golf so far. Some of the game modes are different, but reminds me of the original.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Doom 2016 on switch

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bought Mario Kart, Super Smash, Animal Crossing, and Mario Tennis today. The first will be fun with the fiance. I read the reviews of the second and got excited despite originally not wanting to play it at all. The third was a game I wanted to play before even buying the Switch and then cooled off on after I bought it. Decided to buy it anyway to see what happens.

I think I'm looking forward to the last one the most. I read it's similar to the N64 version, which I loved.

Volsdude likes this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gamestop has it on sale (pre-owned) for like, $22. Haven’t looked into it at all, but at that price, might not need to in order to justify buying.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Definitely worth it at that price. It's a lot like BOTW in regards to gameplay, so if you like it you will like this. I almost prefer this over BOTW.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I probably would have pulled the trigger already if I hadn't just bought 4 new games, on top of the 4 still pretty new ones I bought back on Prime Day.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The long rumored OLED Switch is releasing Oct 8.

However, unless there are more details to come it doesn’t appear that it will have any performance updates, just the improved display and audio