2022 Basketball Recruiting

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Might as well get this one started, as it's looking like we are in on a number of high caliber players once again.

Tomorrow, B.J. Edwards is committing.

This one would be a major shock if it isn't the Vols.

The kid I want is Brandon Miller from Cane Ridge here in Nashville. He is the real deal and was by far the best player in the state championship game with a Memphis Houston team loaded with D1 players (Houston won).

Otherwise, we are in on a lot of top 50-100 type players, including Dillon Mitchell, Cason Wallace and Jalen Hood- Schifino. Will be another interesting recruiting season. Hopefully, the real season pans out the same.

Volsdude likes this.
  2. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I think Cason Wallace is 5 star top 20 type talent.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Barnes extended and pay raise. Surprised I haven't read anyone here not too happy about it.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t really get it but we’ve always handed out raises and extensions here. It’s more newsworthy if we don’t

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Barnes seems to make more money per early exit.

6. Ssmiff

Recruiting, imo. Players being drafted and making nba rosters is good for UT business, and to keep good players coming in. We weren't established enough to reload when Bone and Grant left early. Hopefully we are now as kids see UT win a lot of games and UT players getting their names called.

IP likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

Still no reason. Already making above his status. No offense to him.

lylsmorr likes this.
  8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Crystal Ball for Dillon Mitchell from Jerry Meyer, and a handful for BJ Edwards

Unimane likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, we are reaching a level of annual relevance in major recruiting/nba draft prospects that is worth acknowledging.

10. Ssmiff

Could be right. But if we have a coach who isn't beating ky regularly, sending players to nba and instead rumored to be gone every year or two, we don't have another top 5 class (much better fit and needs filled than Keon class), and more top players coming. Imo.

IP likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

I think there could be a middle ground between giving Rick Barnes ANOTHER raise and extension (after a first-round exit) and employing Buzz Peterson

12. Ssmiff

Again, could be. Are you willing to risk it without knowing who and if they will recruit at a high level? I'm not right now. Of course March is big, but it's bigger to us fans than recruits. Recruits don't see losing a game in ncaa tourney as a negative on Barnes. They play in and lose many games in tournies themselves. Most cant remember who they lost to a couple weeks ago or why, and more than likely can't tell you who we lost to last year or 2 years ago. They do see development, nba, and recall visits and home games they attend, moreso than USC going off, bs ending of Purdue game and Loyola getting every bounce possible in a back and forth game. If they do remember those games, the last thing in their mind is "Barnes cant coach in march." or we wouldn't be seeing such recruits. They are top players and know it's on them once on the floor.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not, right now.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

Risk what? Where was he going?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

[uck fay] around and find out.

16. Ssmiff

Risk moving on to another coach. Seems some fans want to move on. Don't believe you do. Just saying people either want him to stay or to move on to another coach. I dont want to move on right now. Have really enjoyed the last 3 years and have high expectations now that we have a pg, big man or two and a couple shooters.

17. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Kansas might open up soon

18. JohnnyQuickkick

We gave him another raise out of nowhere. Not like last year when UCLA was sniffing. There was no risk.

19. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Nobody is trying to steal Vitello from us either but fans still want him to be the highest paid coach in America, over a pair of coaches in our own conference who are currently facing off for a national title.

20. Ssmiff

For arguments sake, what if there are freshmen in HS narrowing down their choices and a coach has 3 years on his contract? That's when we got on Chandler. Imo this was solely based on focusing to compete with the blue bloods in recruiting future stars. Other established programs will continue to recruit well. UT appears to be dependent on the HC, and we've never recruited at this level with consistency in our hoops history.

IP likes this.