Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

What's the thought here? They haven't done shit in their whole existence. Most overrated program of all time.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They have won a NC more recently than we have so I think they have done something. It's more the talent in the state that gets them the hype. They can be a powerhouse when they are recruiting their state well.

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

The biggest threat to Texas' future is that TAMU is in the SEC now. They could become little brother, in the eyes of recruits.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He had a pill and booze problem before showing up to USC. It got brought to light because of all the booster events he had to attend (he was [uck fay]ed up a lot of the time). He still likes his booze but from what I have heard the pill problem is gone and that was his biggest problem. Texas boosters will also not give a shit if he shows up smelling of booze as long as he wins. They are less prissy about that shit that USC.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Might be part of why they want to join.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

and I don't see how it benefits the sec to have two big texas schools.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Dude couldn’t win big at Washington or usc

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Washington was awful when he got there (they had won 9 total games in 4 years) and when he left it was sitting pretty. Petersen took the job because Sark had the program setup. At USC he was so [uck fay]ed on pills it was amazing he won 9 games in 2014 which was a huge improvement from the direction Kiffin had the program headed. When sober he is an amazing offensive coach and knows how to build a program and recruit a top notch QB. He will do very well at Texas.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We have 2 big Alabama schools. I think Sankey is power hungry and would love to have a power conference that dictates how the NCAA runs football.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

and two Mississippi teams and two tennessee teams. but like UF/FSU, it does not favor TAMU or the other SEC members to lose a recruiting advantage over Texas-Austin. The legacy sec schools don't compare. it is one reason why ever letting Georgia Tech back is out of the question. that would only make it harder for UT and AU to poach Georgia kids and adds nothing in terms of footprint, media market, etc.

this is all just jmo, I could be wrong and if Texas gets to join I guess I am.

InVolNerable likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Sankey doesn't care about the recruiting part that would be the coaches. He just wants more revenue and power.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

At what point does adding teams just create more mouths, though?

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Right, you are not really going to be getting more "eyes" on the TV at this point. And TV money, I have a feeling, will dry up faster than some of these people realize.

This whole thing is a huge pyramid scheme that has to keep growing or it will all come crashing down.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Legacy media is dying and maybe the NCAA.

if you think that it might be smart to hedge your bet on creating a super conference that could sell their own streaming service and create their own league.

especially since they just expanded the playoff system so more than 2 or 3 teams will get a shot at a national championship from the conference annually

CardinalVol, A-Smith and IP like this.
  15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Way to shoot down my argument and make me rethink things.

[uck fay]ing bastard.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

eh he was at uw long enough he could have done better than 7-5. The fact that Peterson immediately did better with the same players isn’t a positive. Usc had like 4 top 5 recruiting classes before he got there. I’d be shocked if he won big at Texas

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus Austin is probably the fastest growing market in the country.

If you can get it, you get it.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Hard to say. I think we might get a chance to find out.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

this makes sense. that must be the thinking I was missing on both ends.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Petersen immediately did about the same (he won 1 more game than Sark) until Browning showed up. Sark also laid all the ground work for Petersen to land Browning. I would be willing to bet Sark will do very well in Austin.