Best Position Players in UT history - QBs

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jul 21, 2021.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Spring practice legends:
    Quentin Hancock
    David Yancey

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That could be a whole other thread.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Andy Kelly was the first Tennessee QB I really remember so I’m always partial to him even though he doesn’t make the top 5.

Heath Schuler came along when I really started to understand what was going on.

They came Peyton during high school. And of course Tee right after that.

So those are my favorites, which doesn’t answer the question but it’s where I stand.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Volokie and Memtownvol like this.
  4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Manning, Clausen, Shuler, Dobbs, T-Rob

you youngsters never saw t-rob throw those rainbows. His Sr year was on an interesting trajectory until Cornelius Bennett took him out. Very similar story as Chuck Webb. What might have been.

Poppa T likes this.
  5. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Casey Clausen might be the most under-appreciated player in Tennessee football history looking back on it.

Poppa T, Volokie, Memtownvol and 6 others like this.
  6. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Top 5 in no particular order:
    Manning
    Robinson
    Shuler
    Clausen
    Holloway

Honorable mention to Kelly and Dobbs.

Poppa T likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, at the time I was still in Manning mode but Clausen was a great college QB

Duckman likes this.
  8. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

It's not heresy.

He was a good, competent QB who played his part on a completely loaded national championship team.

He had his good moments, especially the 23 straight completion game, but he largely never took a game over like Manning, Robinson, etc. did.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

One thing Tee did was always pull something out at an opportune time even in games in which he wasn’t particularly good

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

1997 was just as loaded. 96 was pretty loaded too. Manning couldn’t beat Florida or win when it mattered most. Tee did. That’s what matters to me.

justingroves likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

To be fair, I dont think Tee had to beat Florida with us giving up 50-60 pts. We gave up 17 in '98. Peyton goes 3-1 vs UF if we only give up 17 with only loss being freshman year

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And people forget the whole Alabama thing.

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Only gave up 60+ once. 31, 62, 35, 33. All of which were lower than Florida’s season averages except for the 62.

Probably would’ve helped if he hadn’t thrown 4 interceptions, 2 at the goal line, his junior year. At home. In the first half.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Don't let Peyton sling it around against UF and he's 3-1 against them.

IP likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Very true. But again we only had to score 20 the one time Tee played them. I still have Tee in top 5 due to the Natty and him being smart enough on the field to let our nasty D take over. Cut was trying to win Peyton the Heisman

16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

As skinny as his arms and upper body looked I was always a little surprised where the velocity came from.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Bray had good mechanics and tall with long arms and could throw the shit out of the deep ball.

I’ll never understand how Justin Hunter was so damn explosive with his build. He was a damn twig.

Memtownvol likes this.
  18. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Peyton wanted to beat them so badly to get past the team no one outside Knoxville thought they could beat, so being a slow runner he did the only thing he could, force it in hopin his receiver would be aggressive and make it happen.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Also would have helped that on the play before those 2 goal line INTs the guys he hit in the hands didn't drop the ball.