2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Federer withdrew from the French Open as well. We were told just today that he’d never do that.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

39 years old and multiple knee surgeries will do that.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The French Open is the third most important tennis tournament, and is played annually. Not a great comp.

Indy likes this.
  4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Both he and Osaka withdrew from the same tournament, so yeah, it kinda is.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So man okay but woman not okay?

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, that's it.

I was diagnosed with depression 10 years ago, take Lexapro daily, and am currently visiting a counselor because of a flare up in it. So go [uck fay] yourself dooz, I have some rough idea of what is going on. I've watched it. She freaked out because she screwed up the vault. That's not mental health disorder, that's a mental freak out because she didn't know how to respond. She's still the GOAT, and I hope she win's gold in the all around, but she point blank freaked out and couldn't handle adversity.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sry, I thought we were talking about Biles. I guess I wasn't tracking the whole conversation.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve helped and lived through multiple immediate family members battle depression, bi-polar, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and addiction. Those things can manifest themselves in many ways with many different things that trigger them.

Which is why I’m willing to give her a break. And Simone a break too.

I’m glad they’re talking about it. I’m glad that they’re bringing this issue into the public. It’s conversation that’s long over due.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  10. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Easily probably the largest issue we ignore as a society.

11. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

My best friend in High School committed suicide last year, never gave any indication it was ever even a possibility.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, this guy.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You were told the greats wouldn't quit in the middle of an event due to thinking they couldn't get it done mentally. But keep trolling. Next thing is you will start your woke mode and act like this is all sexist.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a physical injury vs a mental state(?) or mental something. And I do not mean that in a dismissive manner, just pointing out that the difference is definitely not weiner vs taco.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm with IP and Card on this one (sorry IP and Card). Sounds like she caved under pressure and gave up when adversity hit. Not a huge fan of labeling that as a "mental health issue."

And honestly, letting her off easy seems more sexist than holding her accountable and calling her out for what this whole thing seems to be. She's a super talented, successful adult, and the alleged GOAT in her sport. Why wouldn't we hold her to the same level of accountability as we would any other "GOAT-tier" athlete in a similar situation?

A-Smith likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Damn it.

justingroves, Ssmiff and Indy like this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Too late.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Osaka didn't quit after the French Open, she took time off to get her shit together. Unless she's moving to Montana and joining some commune, I'm certain she'll be playing in major competitions shortly. To say she quit is unfair and inaccurate, in my opinion. Yeah, she knows there is going to be a lot of scrutiny, but until it happens you never quite understand it, I'm sure, nor how you are going to cope with it. People take time off from their jobs or whatever all the time to refocus, not even having to worry about every move of theirs scrutinized in public, and no one says they are quitters. Mostly because no one gives a shit if you work as a accountant or whatever, but, if you are a professional athlete, people's demand to be entertained outweigh their concern for you as a person.

She has always had anxiety issues in the interviews and public settings. Anyone could see when she beat Serena in the US Open, and the crowd was rabidly booing what they felt was a screw job on Williams (It wasn't), how painfully shy the girl was.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, I think unless she walked off the court in the middle of a match, it isn't really comparable to scratching in the middle of the Olympic event.

justingroves likes this.