Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Here’s a nice sim of the track from RoGro

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I used to but I haven't had a rig in a year or so so haven't been able to race. But I barely ever use iRacing. Assetto Corsa Competizione and regular Assetto Corsa were my go tos but I don't do much oval racing.

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I got GA so I'll be all over the track, but will probably be watching the IndyCar race across the bridge.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m going to use Friday practice to see as much of the track as I can. I’ll let you know what all I see.

ptclaus98 likes this.
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The turn 9 area is crazy. Watching them go up and over the bridge and then come back down is awesome. You could land a plane going into 9 but right after the apex it gets really narrow. Start should be fun.

ptclaus98 likes this.
  6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Joseph hit the wall right in front of me.

Also turn 11 is a great place for GA. It will be in the shade by the time the race starts too.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I think I'm gonna watch the TC America race from across the bridge, then head back over to watch from T9 or T11. I should be asleep right now but there were a group of kids playing outside my window at 1 AM and I haven't been able to go back to sleep.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That wasn’t a very good race. The event overall was a success though.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I doubt I'll be back. Too expensive for good seats, and GA is pointless because they shepherd like 20k people into three viewing areas. For reference, Portland is in a few weeks and it's 65 bucks for 3 days of GA, compared to 89 for one day at Nashville. And I doubt that you wouldn't be able to walk the track at Portland, and you probably even add paddock access with a GA ticket there, which I didn't have the option to online or at the track for Nashville. Food was good though.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Missed this post, but yeah, I don’t know if I’ll go again or not. Our friends that we went with told me last weekend they have a couple new angles to work for tickets so I’d go back for free, but I don’t know about paying for the whole weekend. I might go for just Sunday next year if I had to pay.

GA at a street course is always tough. I remember the GA at Toronto to be not that great either (but it was cheaper too).

Overall, I’ll probably wait to see what changes will be made, if any, before I decide if I’ll go again, especially if I have to pay.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Alright @JayVols, gimme your opinion on the Bristol NASCAR dirt race and let’s see if we are aligned.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I like dirt track racing. I like NASCAR racing. I didn't really care much for NASCAR on dirt at Bristol... especially since Logano won.

They ruined Bristol years ago, so why not cover it in dirt, ya know?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I also like dirt racing and I also like NASCAR racing.

But I think the NASCAR dirt race was pretty terrible. I don’t want to pay the same price to watch the cars go slower than they would on the concrete. I was willing to give a chance, before I decided if I wanted to go or not, but needless to say, I won’t be going to the spring race anymore.

The World of Outlaw cars were awesome though.

Also, I liked how they moved the date to mid-April to avoid the traditional unpredictable weather of mid-March, but then moved the date this year back closer to the mid-March date and got a metric [uck fay]ton of rain.

14. JayVols

Agree with all that. A UPS driver buddy of mine got Piggly Wiggly luxury suite tickets given to him the 1st time they brought in dirt years ago for the Outlaw cars. Free food, drinks, a/c & no dirt all over me was great. Nice to see how the monied folks live. Also, seeing those winged cars absolutely flying around the track at speeds faster than NASCAR on the concrete was amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Cup cars just aren't conducive with dirt anymore, imo. I'm ok with them trying it, but it wasn't good. The fact that they announced they were doing it again in '22 before the race was over is just another example of how that track has been completely mismanaged the last 15 years or so. I can't physically do the walking required to attend Bristol anymore, but even if I could, I wouldn't accept free tickets, dirt or concrete. Dramatically falling attendance over the last few years says I'm not alone in my displeasure of the track even when taking into account the attendance fall off at all tracks.

I'm not saying it has to go back to a lane/ lane & a half track, but it just doesn't seem right to me to see cars rim riding at Bristol. Two grooves would be fine. 3 grooves at Bristol, with the bottom not being one of them, just turns Bristol into a flat out boring track on par with several of the many boring mile & a half tracks NASCAR runs.

Progressive banking took the excitement & seemingly the challenge out of the place, so I say again, why not cover a shit track with even shittier dirt? The Bristol magic is gone either way.

15. JayVols

Dirt at Bristol also renders the pit crews completely meaningless.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Which is really stupid since pit stops have been a quintessential aspect of NASCAR since the very beginning.

JayVols likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think I still lean toward the decline of NASCAR in popularity overall as the main reason for the decline in attendance at Bristol. People just aren’going in general anywhere.

Talladega used to be as hard a ticket to get, and they’ve removed sections of grandstands now, including the whole backstraight. Atlanta, Richmond, Charlotte all come to mind as places that have removed seating as well. Indianapolis had to race the road course to boost attendance. California is basically building a brand new track at their site. Atlanta is redoing the lay out of their track too.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Hosting a race in the LA Coliseum seems like it’s a terrible idea too.

19. JayVols

You very well could be right, but I really feel like Bristol not being Bristol anymore has made it worse than what it normally would have been. The night race in Brustol was the hardest ticket to get for many years.

20. JayVols

It absolutely does. LA is not NASCAR country. I get not wanting to be a regional sport, but come on. The LA Coliseum? Seriously?

If NASCAR wants butts in the seats, they need more short track bull ring type races, and not the current Bristol where they want a short track to act like a superspeedway type track. NASCAR's ultimate downfall, imho, started with cookie cutter mile & a half track after cookie cutter mile & a half.

I'm really interested how the California half mile is going to turn out. Hopefully, it's awesome & Bristol will take notice & do something.