What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Like, improved display and audio when you're playing it in handheld mode? I literally haven't done that once since buying mine lol

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah that seems to be the update. I barely play mine handheld so I’ll be waiting for a performance update before I buy another.

I guess it’s not completely out of character for Nintendo, given they did something similar with the 3DS XL

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Tried Mario Tennis and Mario Kart on the switch last night.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but I don't like either game as much as I did the versions I played back on N64.

Tennis just feels so gimmicky. I don't like all the frills and bullshit they've added. It's the kind of stuff that used to be in "extra" modes back on the N64 version. You could play it if you wanted, but it wasn't the focus of the game. Now it's the focus, and it's just kinda meh. Beyond that, what's with the lack of co-op options? If my fiance and I want to play offline doubles games against the computer, the only option we have is free play. Why would they not include a doubles co-op tournament option, so that we can actually feel like we are building towards something together, rather than just playing a random, meaningless game every time we play? Or am I just missing something?

Mario Kart is okay but just feels slow. Like, it feels like a race where everyone is driving 65, when the old one felt like everyone was driving 100.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Just started playing this game called GTA5. Y’all heard of it?

Indy and fl0at_ like this.
  5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Is that the one that’s causing all the kids to listen to Marilyn Manson?

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Bought Super Mega Baseball 3 for <$20. Most fun I've had playing a sports game in a long long time.

7. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Biting the bullet on Mario golf in a few weeks, I’ll let you know how it goes. That’s a bummer about tennis, I wanted to get that one too at some point.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

GTA Online is ridiculous and mostly fun

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I used to run with a group of like, 8-10 people who would just empty lobbies on that game. Like, we would join a lobby and just kill everyone until we were the only ones left. Tanks, Choppers, Jets, Submarines, Oppressors, Explosive RC Cars... We would just destroy everyone.

I do like how they've kept the game fresh. The new submarine/island update they did recently was top notch for a super late DLC on a what, 7 year old game?

10. Volsdude

Mario golf is lit. I’ve just been doing motion controls with friends. I think the button controls are supposed to be too easy. Haven’t done the story or anything, but if you’ve got people you can play with somewhat consistently, I highly recommend it. My friends and I do play regular golf though too, so we all are into golf in the first place which might make us easier to please.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I find myself losing interest in games more easily than I used to. I played the shit out of Cyberpunk for a while, and then I just stopped. Never picked it back up and still haven't beaten it.

Same thing, to an extent, with Breath of the Wild. I played it a ton for a few weeks or a couple months, and then I just didn't play it for 2 weeks. I've been picking it up here and there since then, but I also don't feel a significant desire to play it very often, and that's despite me feeling like it's a really well-made game and enjoying it during the time in which I played it.

I'm not sure what's causing this new trend, but I have a theory. Part of me thinks that I'm a little too OCD about not "missing" anything with these sorts of games, which leads to me reading guides, doing side quests I'd otherwise not care to do, and really drawing out the time it takes me to complete a game. The result is that when I think "do I want to play Breath of the Wild," it starts to feel more like a chore than a fun activity. I'm not sure if that's my fault for making it feel that way or the game's fault for making it feel that way. But I do wonder if games that offer tons of different outcomes depending on how you play (like Cyberpunk, Detroit, Mass Effect, etc.) are the culprit for why I often lose interest these days.

A good example, if you're curious, is games that require you to use certain in game chat options in order to trigger certain events. I can't just go into those situations and pick what I want my guy to say. I always feel like I have to look up the best choices online. Because what if I'm 15 hours into a playthrough, and I select a chat option that significantly changes the outcome of my playthrough in a way I don't want? On the one hand, it kinda makes sense that this is possible, but on the other hand, it seems kind of dumb that selecting specific chat options can have significant impacts on the outcome of the game.

Or, maybe I'm just getting old? I don't know.

12. Volsdude

Yeah I’m a completionist/perfectionist as well as a gamer. Personally, I’ve had to force myself to just play for fun and don’t let myself make the games a chore. Like once I start doing a grind or spending a bunch of time trying to find all the needles in a haystack I have to cut it off once I get sick of it and walk away from it. I love playing games at their hardest difficulties too, but I don’t have time to do that either, so I reserve that for games that I will finish no matter what anyways i.e fallen order.

A lot of my friends have been doing the same things/experiencing what you’re talking about. We’ve all had to just adapt to the little time we have to relax and play in the first place, and play for strictly enjoyment rather than that satisfaction of fleshing a game out completely.

Also, on the multiple outcomes: I just make those decisions on the fly that affect endings and see how it goes, and then look up all the alternate endings after I finish if I care to. I kind of like not knowing how it will work out now, keeps me more engaged than when I was gunning for a perfect run and keeps it a little more carefree, if you will.

All this to say: you’re very much not alone

Indy likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pokemon Snap added a very solid free DLC already. Both surprising and awesome. Good on them.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Beat the final boss on Returnal last night. Awesome game that anyone with a PS5 needs to play.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Finally hit the jackpot on a ps5 digital edition from Walmart dot com

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This Far Cry 6 game looks solid. I’ve never played the series before. Is it a good one? Might pull the trigger and get it.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I’ve been off work this week, and my god, there is sooooo much shit to explore in Breath of the Wild. You can just get lost for hours.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

It’s ok. Definitely on the lower tier of the open world rpgs. I’ve never paid full price for one of those though.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Back 4 Blood looks awesome

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Played through AC Valhalla for the 2nd time. Fired up Skyrim for the 4th go around about a week ago.