21-22 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, May 21, 2021.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Powell's a shooter anyway

2. ftcvol

ftcvol Member

I've been concerned with our participation in this reclassification trend since it started, even with BHH. What I keep coming back to: would Barnes offer the option to guys for whom he didn't think it's in their best interest? Out of sheer need? I'd think not, but it kinda looks that way currently. Depth in the post is 100% going to be a problem, again. The answer to bottom-half of the conference rebounding numbers isn't Aidoo and two HS juniors. Maybe Uros can figure it out? Barnes just doesn't have a great track record with bigs here. Zach Kent, DJ Burns, Derrick Walker, Drew Pember, Corey Walker (if you want to count him) -- with the jury still out on Uros and Nkamhoua.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

He can play the point, he showed that last year at Auburn. But 100% he needs to play 2 to maximize his game.

4. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

If this new PG gets significant minutes next year then I see Bailey or Vescovi transferring out.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He supposed to be any good?

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hopefully his quickness helps Chandler in practice. I'm not sure who would D up on Chandler and give him a challenge on the current roster Vescovi the best guard defender we have.

A-Smith likes this.
  7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

makes sense and that's a little scary. I would imagine we will put JJJ on the best wing, whoever that is.

8. KyleAlexanderfan

I feel like Vescovi is a decent defender. But obviously if you switch him on Herb Jones he’s going to look bad.

9. Ssmiff

He actually is. Uses good anticipation and a little sly to compensate for not being as athletic. Chandler is so fast when he wants to be. Dont think we have seen the speed and ballhandling combo at pg before at UT and it's too much for Vescovi. Bailey could be good 1 v 1 D but seems to get lost on defense on simple switch situations too often and doesn't seem to be aware if the guy he's guarding prefers to go hard right or hard left for awhile. Should already know and take that away. Makes playing d a little easier

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Zakai Ziegler is supposed to be an instant contributor. As of now BHH is not a starter.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm choosing to believe this means Nkamhoua has taken a step up. Of course, Barnes is reluctant to start freshmen at the beginning of the season. Keon and Springer didn't until almost mid-season.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Vescovi kind of reminds me of Lofton a bit, defensively

13. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I had no expectation that ZZ would be ready to contribute this year, but it’s huge if he is. Means we can play Vescovi and Powell off the ball more often.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

From what VQ has said about practice, it seems like the starting 5 if we played tomorrow would be Chandler, Vescovi, James, Nkamhoua, and Fulkerson.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is from one of the assistant coaches and sometimes Barnes has other ideas. Barnes did say Ziegler was the “best he’d seen” at quickly adapting to a college basketball environment.

16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Barnes is not one to throw around such high praise lightly

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, Nkamhoua and Fulkerson are the starters as of right now. I kind of hope that changes.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I still believe there is a player inside Nkamouah. Have no idea if it ever comes out

A-Smith likes this.
  19. KyleAlexanderfan

I thought the word was BHH was impressing. I have no faith in Nkamhoua. I bet he ends up starting sooner rather than later. Also heard on FSK that they liked Tamba. Aidoo must not be impressing early on.

20. Ssmiff

Hes not the best but he has a knack for sliding off his man for a good trap or gets a hand on the ball. He's just going yo get torched a couple times a game by a fast pg which is what many remember. Who doesn't.