POLITICS My Facebook Feed

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TennTradition, Jan 3, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, the least effective would be looking for the silver bullet.

Because if there is strong economic, business incentive to change nothing, nothing changes. Yes, gas getting more expensive motivates many individuals to seek more fuel-efficient cars and reducing unnecessary driving, carpool/ share rides, etc. There are many things besides a new, more efficient vehicle, and the used car such a person buys in 10 years is more efficient than their current car because of those new cars today. That's how it works, nothing works instantly.

A person who understands climate change and expects to either be around or have descendants around would want the effects of climate change to be minimized. An underground shelter will not save them, and would be a lot more expensive than any of the things you said most can't afford.

But don't take my word for it, you can just watch the next few decades unfold. We're locked in for serious pain. The question is how much worse we want to make it, not if it can be avoided, at this point.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Most people have enough to worry about today

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

A self-fulfilling prophecy, making sure that will never change.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The underground shelter comment was not meant to be taken seriously.

I think the person who understands climate change should want to minimize the effects, but can also recognize the dangers of severely harming or ruining the economy in order to do so. Wealth, both on a governmental level and an individual level, seems to be helpful in mitigating a decent percentage of the effects of climate change that we are seeing.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

Reality

HCKevinSteele and justingroves like this.
  6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Reality for bumpkins, maybe. We city folk have public transportation.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't really want to share any of them, but my feed is awash with people making light of the Alex Baldwin accident. It's not so much folks I know. It's more comments on posts from pages (in the most recent that I oddly didn't even know I was following). Seems like poor taste to me.

VolDad likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuickkick

he seems like an asshole but he didn’t do it on purpose and I’m sure he’s torn up over it. And someone died. I’m not a fan of the way some people are treating it

justingroves likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a terrible situation

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because it took place in an industry setting, there will probably be someone charged over this. This appears to have been negligence. The union walked off the set long before this over safety issues, which is pretty damning.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why the hell do you have live rounds on a set, anyway, especially with prop guns in circulation?

Sounds like the whole thing is a [uck fay] up all around

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, it sucks all around. Assuming there wasn't something intentional at play, it's really tragic. I know Baldwin rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I feel for the guy.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

A blank can be considered a live round. A blank can be and has been fatal multiple times before. The reporting is not clear on this point and it may take some time for exactly what ammunition was present becomes clear.

What is clear is that Baldwin was handed a gun by someone not the armory officer, that he was told it was a "cold gun," (not loaded with blanks or normal rounds, but perhaps dummy rounds) and that it was not cold, and that several crew walked off the set in the weeks leading up to this in protest of poor gun check safety occurring.

If real ammo was mixed in with blanks and dummies, which may be the case, that is extreme negligence by any standard and that was compounded by the breach in established gun custody protocol. Guns have been used on sets for a hundred years, this kind of accident should never happen.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, it's 2021, and call it for authenticity if you want. I still bet there would have been dozens dozens of recognizable and unrecognizable canned sounds in the final product. Saw where the showrunner for The Rookie came out after this and said they would not be using anything but props and adding flash and sound in post production.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've only scanned a couple of articles. If you want to come at it from a workplace safety and health standpoint, I can write a good portion of the incident report from my house. It would just be filling in the skeleton of where the system for ensuring that never happened broke down at each level. I guarantee that, if it existed (which is most likely), it broke down at almost each stop between the gun being loaded and Baldwin pulling the trigger or its processes were just ineffective. Probably a bit of both with a lot of human error thrown in.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it was genuine ammo loaded in the gun, the investigation has to entertain that the ammo was put there with some malicious intent. Not saying that is what happen, but you'd have to consider that angle.

The way it is supposed to work is that there is one person who is always hands a weapon to an actor, and no one but the actor and that person ever handles the weapon. With that not occurring, it creates the potential for all sorts of problems.

Standard practice on a cold gun is right before handing it to the actor, you pull the trigger and cycle through all chambers while pointing at the ground, demonstrating that it is indeed cold. The assistant director, armory officer, etc have serious questions to answer.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've seen that model plan discussed in the past, but I don't think it gets followed as much as it should. That's my point, there is breakdown in the system.

Obviously when someone is shot, the police are going to investigate. They usually don't seem to have the right mindset for this sort of thing (assuming no malicious intent with anyone there), but they are going to investigate. I don't know the union's stance, but they should be demanding an investigation beyond what the police will do.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emainvol and utvol0427 like this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Meh, there's no meme clever enough to overcome the Brandon thing.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator