The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, I don’t know about waiting to pull them over until you have backup. I guess if you’re just following the car around town, they eventually will become wise to it and start formulating a plan to escape, which could then turn into a high speed chase.

Or that would be my concern, that if given time, they’ll try to find a way to flee.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I can't imagine performing a search alone. I don't think there is anyway I could maintain situational awareness while my head and eyes are down and my hands are busy.

Maybe someone else can, but I just can't see how I could do it. So I would feel it was a bad idea, and thus, not perform a search alone.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

ya, doesn't feel like being set up for success.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Only way I would do it is if I had the driver in the backseat of the cop car

fl0at_ likes this.
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It simply makes me wonder how many times this has happened over the years. I mean, we're in 2020 and this would've passed, too, except for a video showing what happened. The good 'ol boy network has been incredibly strong in places like this backwoods Georgia town forever.

Daddy Gee likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Dooz likes this.
  8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Wrong.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

How would you describe how he was shot, when he was reaching into the vehicle? Oblique?

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

11. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Jurors found Travis McMichael guilty of malice murder, four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggrevated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit a felony.

Jurors found Greg McMichael guilty of four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggrevated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit a felony. Jurors found him not guilty on charges of malice murder.

Jurors also found the McMichaels' neighbor, William "Roddie" Bryan, guilty of felony murder and not guilty on other charges, including aggrevated assault."

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The prosecutor did a good job of building the case and kind of distilling all of that build-up into a coherent bottom line at the end. Whereas in the other recent high profile case, it was sort of the prosecutors pleading with the judge and jury to just see it their way. Different cases, obviously. But wildly different strategies.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Good.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Imagine, had they not themselves posted a video they would have probably never been charged at all.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

This is what’s so infuriating to me… that there has to be video to make a conviction. I still feel like both McMichael’s should have gotten convicted of malice murder. The other guy maybe not but he did at least capture this murder on a recording so the other two couldn’t lie their way out of it. Unfortunately we still
    Live in a world where folks will take the word of a white man over a black man where crimes are concerned. Look at the guy who spent 45 years in jail in Kansas City… no plausible evidence whatsoever… the actual killers said he was not on the scene at all, even the white lady who was pressured into pointing the finger at him in a lineup tried for years to recant… the truth doesn’t matter when racists want to imprison or kill a black person.

SetVol13 likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, there are people in jail that have been there for decades and were completely railroaded based on prejudice. We know innocent people have been executed. It's awful and it has to end. That something as trivial as one's skin tone can decide what level of justice will be received is monstrous and beneath human dignity.

SetVol13 and Savage Orange like this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

video is what determined both cases. it would have changed both the other direction without it

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Arbery's killers weren't even charged until 70 some days after the fact, when the video went viral. They were going to walk completely. KR would likely have not been charged at all without video. That's a problem, that video is required.

19. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

So I grew up in that neck of the woods. Born in 71, and it this kind of thing wasn’t common. Now, that is not to say there wasn’t any nepotism at all, but it wasn’t widespread as stereotyped, and no more common than the sort of nepotism in the northeast that created the Kennedys.

I thought of everything that had happened over the last several years….this was absolutely the most egregious. I couldn’t believe it went under the radar for so long.

Most of the overtly discriminatory practices died out at the same time you could no longer hand the sheriff a 20 when he pulled you over for speeding.

Before all the hippie libs on this site pile on (I know who you are and I still love you)…I understand and agree that a lot of current laws disproportionately affect the poorer and minority communities…but the answer has to be changing those laws vs selective enforcement.

I think the justice system held up well this week in two separate and very different cases.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

re: the northeast, hell yes. That sort of corruption is everywhere. And I agree regarding selective enforcement being a pathway for corruption rather than a solution to it.

justingroves and Lexvol like this.