Will Heupel get it done?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Nov 13, 2021.

1. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

You see Milton try to do it so I would be surprised if they specifically coach Hooker not to.

I guess he could’ve been trying to play hero ball in practice and throwing lots of picks that way which could lead to that.

2. juicemane

juicemane Member

That was my thought. Maybe they’ve seen bad things in practice when he tries to improvise so they tell him to tuck and run if the play isn’t there.

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Obviously his offense is effective and the team likes him. I’m not 100 % sold on our dc, but perhaps as recruiting progresses he’ll shine brighter. If the staff can recruit we’ll we’ll see inside 2 more seasons. It’s the first time in a long time being patient sounds reasonable. I think we need to build both sides of our linemen first, if you can’t compete for control of the line of scrimmage nothing works well. We also need to find the right QB for his offense.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is fair to say that Heupel and staff have not disqualified themselves to this point. They are in position to exceed all reasonable expectations for the season under very challenging circumstances. If any situation ever warranted some patience, it is this one. Okay, and like the Marshall post-plane crash time period. And maybe like Penn State after they were caught diddling kids in the shower and were lucky to have a program at all.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've yet to see a thing that tells me he can't. Yes, 22 recruiting isn't great. But 23 is shaping up nicely so far and if he can get what we need out of the portal on defense I'll be happy.

chavisut likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This still boggles my mind and makes me angry.

InVolNerable likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's definitely nothing on the field that throws up red flags. Defensively, they're getting everything they can out of spot duty guys on most sec teams.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The 22 recruiting won't be able to be fully evaluated until Fall if there are a lot of transfers.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Frustrating? Sure.

But also expected. Considering they were is discussion of being the WOAT, I have to be happy with what they have shown.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The everybody run deep and I'm just gonna run it easily play everybody runs vs us needs focus. We have tried to spy and he gets picked off. DTs nowhere to be found. Never seen so many qbs running in space with 1 defender coming up from 15 yards away.
    How qb plays and can we stop some 3rd downs will determine his future.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's what happens when you're not talented and have to play cover 1 to get pressure and they catch you in man. The defense has been way better than I expected to be honest.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Fair point. We knew before the season started that defense was going to be sketchy at best and if you told me back in August that come November we’d be in position to go 7-5 I’d have said “Yeah booooiiiii!! Bring it on!!”…

Volokie and Memtownvol like this.
  13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

A couple of plays from 9-3

14. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

My concerns with Heupel have been the following:

1. Recruiting. It's way still early to make an assessment on this so taking a wait and see approach here.

2. Defense. Especially pertaining to having consistent and effective play here in it's relation to the up tempo offense we have. They have been gassed numerous times this year because they're on the field so much. Recruiting should shore this up a bit and give us some depth, but even then, I catch myself wondering about the sustainability of it all.

This season has been fun. Probably the most fun since Kiffin's lone year with us back in the day. I just want there to be actual substance long term to go along with the flash that we have seen this year.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

He is easily the best of the last 4. He’s a decent guy. I want to think his style and staff can win the new portal game. But, if you max our potential loss of players (Hooker, Evans, Mays, lots on Def), we need to add starters and plenty of 2 deep in this class. I am worried about next year.

But so much can happen. I am rooting for Heupel

16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

The portal will be handy before next season.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

18. Ssmiff

Man he sure has done a great job of getting the fan base together among many other positives this year.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's going to have us all tailgating together in a couple years if this keeps up.

zehr27, justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. Ssmiff

i hit them 3 times this year. Haven't been to 3 games total in the previous 5 years. Campus was electric, even when we knew what was coming with Georgia.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.