POLITICS Who benefits from a ban on abortion?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by chef65, Dec 2, 2021.

1. chef65

chef65 Contributor

My father was a married man of 49 when he fancied my 28 year old mother and made a mistake I’ve yet to reconcile with his otherwise sterling record of good sense. I guess the laws of biology are as fixed as those of physics. He pressured her to abort but she refused.

I’m thankful she decided to reproduce but her decision was but one of countless variables that had to align just right for my existence to materialize. How many geniuses, athletes, musicians, etc. will fail to manifest because of condoms, abstinence, and the randomness of sexual reproduction?

There are loads of potential people. Their hypothetical happiness should take a backseat to the wishes of a woman who doesn’t want to see her body transformed and who knows the dangers of primate gestation. Telling a girl to just utilize adoption addresses nothing.

Sex and poor decision making go hand in hand thanks to the elusive nature of free will and the selfishness of genes. Let’s avail ourselves of every tool to ensure the well being of those who stand to prosper or suffer in the present moment.

My existence is not part of some grand plan. I would have had no means of protesting abortion from a place of insentience.

Having a child is the single most efficient way to destroy the planet’s ability to harbor complex life in the future.

2. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Come on people do any of you stand for anything? Is anyone capable of talking?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We have exhausted the abortion talk a decade ago.

I personally am against it post first trimester, as I believe it is then a person. Before that, it is the woman's choice, but there are some ethical questions about the father's rights/duties in that situation as well.

IP and Fl0at will come in on hard right up till birth it is fine and completely up to the woman.

The more Christian people on the board will say all abortion is wrong.

That is the conversation as it always goes in a nutshell.

chef65, Joseph Brant and VolDad like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wouldn't describe my position as thus. I would argue that when you say "not after the 1st trimester," you may not be realizing the number of conditions that do not become apparent until after that time which demonstrate the fetus is not viable and/or endangers the mother, and terminating the pregnancy is an abortion. E.g., what you describe would force women to carry a dead fetus to term, which I do not believe is your intent.

Many who say "all abortion is wrong" have been conditioned to believe the majority of abortions are undertaken as forms of birth control and that a fetus and a child are the same thing. Neither is the case. Should abortion become illegal, reality will reassert itself in many families' lives at great cost in suffering and death. Watch.

chef65 and HCKevinSteele like this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It really was not my intention to single you and Float out, just easy targets to make a point.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just saying my position is nuanced and rather places the judgement call on the individual carrying the fetus. Because this stuff is far more complicated than sperm go in, healthy baby come out.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't have the time for this -or the desire to get worked up about this- right now so this will probably be my only post. I will just say that I think our govt. should almost always side with victims: the poor, weak, defenseless, etc. And yeah, I'd put fetuses in that category.

But doing that includes doing a much better job supporting mothers, rather than allocating the resources we do on our enormous military, luxuries, Longhorn Steakhouse, the latest Apple product, etc.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Also, I am glad you are here with us, chef, enjoying our 2021 World Championship.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, if you're going to "outlaw" abortions, you better help out the mothers that feel the need to get one.

I, personally, don't believe abortion should be used as birth control. I also believe my personal beliefs shouldn't be law.

JayVols and SetVol13 like this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, this one has been discussed here ad nauseam.

My view isn't necessarily driven by religion. I think there's a point at which a fetus becomes a human being. I don't necessarily know what point that is, but after that point, I think we should substantially limit the ability to have an abortion.

Obviously there are a lot of individual situations and criteria to talk through, but that's my generalized stance.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What percentage of abortions are undertaken as a form of birth control? And what constitutes a reason as being "a form of birth control?" If a woman just "doesn't want a baby right now," does that fall into abortion as a form of birth control?

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I shan't share my view again because a couple people didn't like it and told me it was a wrong opinion, which isn't really conducive to any good discussion on a topic with a wide range of factors and beliefs. It's not black and white for me and will never be.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Personally, yes, I believe that's a form of birth control

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I would agree. I wonder what percentage of abortions fall into that category.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can tell you about half of women who get an abortion have not had one before and another 25% have had only 1 before. I can tell you that a woman would require on average 3 abortions per year if that were her birth control method. And half of women receiving an abortion report using a contraceptive in the month in which they got pregnant. So clearly it isn't high.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is simply incredible to see mother[uck fay]ers who I know have had premarital sex chide the use of abortion as birth control, when clearly were they capable of being pregnant they would have been putting themselves in that position as well. It's not quite hypocrisy, but it approaches it.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You seem to be conflating "using abortion as a form of birth control" with "using abortion as your only form of birth control." You can use multiple forms of birth control in conjunction with one another.

I don't think any of us are claiming that a high percentage of abortion examples are women who use abortion as their only form of birth control.

This part doesn't seem super relevant to me, unless contraceptive is defined specifically as a form of birth control that isn't applied in the moment. For example, a woman who has sex 20 times in the month of December and uses a condom 6 times out of the 20 could say that she used a contraceptive in the month in which she got pregnant. Using a condom 6/20 times isn't the same thing as having an IUD, but they both answer the question of "did you use a contraceptive in the month in which you got pregnant" the same way.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm one of those mother[uck fay]ers who has had and still currently has premarital sex. At every point in my life during which I have had premarital sex, I would have opted to keep and raise the child, should woman have gotten pregnant and offered me the choice.

If you're willing to live with the potential consequences of having premarital sex, how is it hypocrisy? Not saying every person who opposes abortion but still has premarital sex falls into this category, but I'm sure a lot do.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The important part about advocating the banning abortions is not giving a shit about the child once it's born.

JayVols, The Dooz and emainvol like this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In your opinion, is it better to be not given a shit about or better to be not alive?