MCB vs Purdue Pregame Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I get that we were trying to keep Purdue off balance, but it sure seems like a mistake in hindsight

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could dissect all sorts of decisions, but I am focusing on the touchdown taken off the board for no reason. It is all arbitrary and meaningless if a man can just "decide" it doesn't count. If it wasn't this, it would have been something else. Like the one-sided defensive interference calls. Or the no-calls. I get that the game wasn't perfect, but some of you may be underestimating the weight of the officiating's thumb on the scales of the outcome on this one. It was bad, throughout.

LawVol16 and chavisut like this.
  3. Tar Volon

The third down was the screw, the 4th down was a horrible play.

4. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

You know the answer, though nobody will ever publicly acknowledge it.

5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I just saw a good point on the topic of forward progress. How was the Purdue TE not stopped with forward progress on that long run, but Jaylen was?

Memtownvol and lylsmorr like this.
  6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Hindsight has nothing to do with it. It was pure ignorance to watch seconds running off the clock in that situation with three timeouts.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Ah, ok.

8. HCKevinSteele

The other day I said you couldn’t explain some of the worst calls we see in football as just incompetence and I stand by that. You simply cannot explain that call with just incompetence. I don’t know what to call it, other than just flaunting the rules.

IP likes this.
  9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Every time I say that around here, all I get is “tOo MaNy PeOpLe CoUlDn’T kEeP qUiEt AbOuT iT”…

10. Savage Orange

See my above post…

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It's a simple explanation. Referees have the ability to influence a game to their liking and they do it. All the time. It could be a couple of high schools playing in a cow pasture or a college bowl game played on a cow pasture in an "NFL" stadium, refs influence the game all the time.

lylsmorr likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Anybody have a screen shot of the hold on Tillman?

13. HCKevinSteele

Normally they hide behind judgement though. Is it PI or no? Is it holding or no? This is different as far as that goes. Yes, ref can have judgement on forward progress like my examples, but you have to call it and blow the damn whistle.

14. Tar Volon

It’s very fair to question, but it’s clearly an intentional strategy, and it might’ve been working before Purdue started faking injuries to slow it down

15. Tar Volon

I thought we were done with “intent to blow” after the NHL changed their rule

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Unwritten rule: Forward progress being slowed = forward progress being stopped*

*when it’s Tennessee

17. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

His jersey got stretched 3 feet.

18. Savage Orange

Was at work for most of the game… was keeping up on YT but never saw which conference the officiating crew came from. My guess would be either ACC or Big 12…

19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Nine seconds to be exact. Timeout should have been called at :40, the second down snap was at :31.

20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Bogus block in the back call that took away a punt return for a touchdown. Offsetting penalties were called and it led directly to a Pitt touchdown.

lylsmorr likes this.