Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

We were watching the same game, then because I was screaming at my phone on that last regulation drive for sure. I will say, I like Heupel. I didn’t when the initial hire was made for sure but he proved me wrong this year. He’s got a lot to learn about how games are closed out in the SEC though.

2. juicemane

juicemane Member

I wonder how married Heupel is to this system, or if he’s willing to dial back the pace stuff as the roster becomes more competitive. I think it’s great to have the ability to play super fast in your back pocket, but I’d like to see them apply it more selectively.

Similar to how Pearl got less gimmicky over the years as he added more talent to the roster.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Got home and went back to find the other one:

4. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I think you lose a lot of the advantages it creates if you dial it back.

We burn them several times per game deep due to it.

5. Savage Orange

Considering what Heupel had to work with this year, I think he got (almost) as much as he could have. I don’t think he’s so ego-driven that he won’t change to suit his talent level. He does need to learn how to close out games though in the SEC.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That would be a great tool to have in your arsenal, but it’s going to take a while to build to it—we look so much worse when teams slow us down (which is why I’m not that mad about not calling timeout on that last drive, even though it wasted eight seconds). I think anyone who knows football would understand the importance of being able to play at multiple speeds, so I assume he wouldn’t be opposed. But it’s probably a matter of whether he can implement it effectively. And you’re right, the players probably matter there.

7. Savage Orange

Maybe a graduated dial-back might be the answer here. Let it fly for two-1/2 quarters and then try to be more cognizant of the defense for the last 1-1/2 quarters. Of course, I freely admit I know beans about coaching, so there’s that.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How about I just give you a lesson, since you can't see shit in basketball or football games.
    First image, the rb out of the backfield is running a route you are saying didn't happen, and is open.
    2nd pic, there is not a qb I want playing on any of my teams ever, who would choose a covered middle of the field wr with their D squatting on routes, over man overage outside and beat off the line immediately.
    You literally know nothing.

Attached Files:

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  9. juicemane

juicemane Member

Yea, he would have to add some complexity to the offense for when it slows down.

it is a really nice system to get a team up and running in a short amount of time. Will be interesting to see how it evolves over the years, assuming he can stick around awhile.

10. KyleAlexanderfan

Once again you can’t [uck fay]ing read. It’s the [uck fay]ing play call not the QB decision, uncle Rico.

11. KyleAlexanderfan

This guy doesn’t even know what a motion offense is in basketball but claims to be an informed sports fan because he played rec ball at his shitty YMCA.

12. Ssmiff

There are 3 receivers running the routes you are complaining we didn't run.
    I've come to the conclusion you can't name 1 route on the route tree, so it's pointless to try to have a sports discussion. Troll.

13. KyleAlexanderfan

LOL. Are you seriously this [uck fay]ing dumb?

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

From the ACC Referee office - "We try to let them play. This is just 2 players being allowed to play. The (Tennessee) player must be pulled to the ground before a PI infraction is called."

"We let them play to the whistle, until we don't. But our refs can decide when the play is stopped in their minds. You know sometimes our guys are winded and the whistle just can get enough air to make a noise."

15. Ssmiff

LOL exactly. You couldn't be more clueless. Keep whining about a playcall where we send 1 wr of 4 deep. "We needed to call short and intermediate.." look at the images. Rb out of backfield for 7 yards and open. Wr on sideline medium route. 2 other wrs breaking off routes.

As float has said, support your case or stfu.

16. KyleAlexanderfan

This loser has watched this offense all year and thinks we throw to the running back. You’re a [uck fay]ing clown. Dumbass uncle Rico.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

Try watching the play. It was his primary read.

18. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Get a good oline and a thumper RB and execute a jumbo run package and 4th quarter leads will look different. We just don't have those pieces yet.

Memtownvol and Savage Orange like this.
  19. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

He didn't have the players on either side to do anything else. About the only chance we had was to score as much as possible the only way we could. That should change with a better roster to work with.

20. Savage Orange

Having some safeties or DB’s that can consistently make plays would help too, lol!!
    Your point is well taken that we just don’t have (and aren’t likely to get…) all the pieces we need in even two recruiting cycles. It’s going to be year three or four before we see what this coaching staff is really able to do once everything we need (more or less, anyway) is in place.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.