What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Back when I bought my PS4, it came with that Spiderman game that got rave reviews. I remember trying it out, playing through the first mission, then never touching it again. I was in a hurry that morning and didn't have a ton of time, so I found myself rushing through that tutorial and not picking everything up. By the time I went to play it again a week later, I didn't remember anything about it and decided to just not bother.

Either way, I picked it back up recently, and it's been pretty fun. I like how they've broken down their version of "find random shit scattered across the map" into multiple sections (landmarks to photograph, backpacks to find, Harrry's environmental stations, etc.). It makes each of them seem much more doable, which made getting started much easier. That said, they make up a little more of the total content than I was expecting.

The combat is surprisingly fun. My only real complaint is the big fat dudes that you have to web up in order to punch are a little broken. The web slinging and swinging is a blast though, and the different suits are cool

Pretty enjoyable game so far.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Both Spider Man games are fun. There’s enough difference in the Miles Morales one that it stays interesting too. Once you get more tricks the big guys aren’t so bad

It’s kind of like Fallen Order, it’s fun to just beat the hell out of minions

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I struggle with the dodging piece. I'll be swinging a sewer grate around in the air, about to smack somebody with it, and I'll get the red spidey sense. My eagerness to smack somebody gets in the way of my need to dodge.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm struggling to decide what I want to play after this one. I have the following options:
    • Last of Us Part II
    • Replay God of War (might wait til closer to the release of the new one)
    • Halo Infinite Campaign (still trying to hold out for co-op)
    • Animal Crossing/Pokemon Sword/Super Smash/any other Switch game that I just haven't gotten around to playing yet.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm on Forza Horizon 5 right now. I've got enough stuff I want to play on Gamepass that it will take me a year or more to work through.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've never played any of the Forza games.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Last of Us 2 is absolutely fantastic.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I bought the first one well after it was released, and it just sat on the shelf for quite a while. I loved it once I finally decided to play it, and I bought Part 2 shortly after finishing it.

Now Part 2 has sat on the shelf for quite a while as well, so there's obviously a trend. Not sure why, but I just haven't had the desire to dive into it.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I’m just into the whole zombie thing. I know, story and all. I’d probably like it. It’s just, those kinds of games just don’t usually hook me on the idea alone. I’m just a serial replayer rather than try lots of new games

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm assuming you meant "not" into the whole Zombie thing. I actually enjoy them a fair bit. I think it's the "survival" aspect of it. I'd love to play the Back 4 Blood game with a group of people, but my gaming friend group doesn't get into the zombie games.

The story is a pretty solid driver in the first Last of Us game. I like games that tell a good story, and that one definitely worked for me.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I definitely called who the bad guy was gonna be very early in this Spider-Man game.

Also, I’m guessing this Miles kid is gonna be Miles Morales, but his dad’s last name being Davis is throwing me off. Step dad?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

If you watched 1 spider man cartoon you pretty much know who everyone is

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I didn't. Was honestly wondering which Spider Man movie / set of movies this game was based on, if any.

I've watched the 3 latest with Tom Holland, and I watched the first one with Tobey. I think I've also seen parts of the second and 3rd with Tobey, but never watched them all the way through. Never watched the 2 from the middle guy.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

It’s not based on any. There are elements from various different sources

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So I called the first bad guy really early on, but after I beat him, I definitely thought the game was over. It’s been pretty much nonstop awesome since then.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Decided I wanted to play some 2K, but I haven’t bought a 2K game since 2019. Went to buy a digital copy of 2K22, but it’s $60.

I can get a hard copy for $25, but my Xbox’s disc drive doesn’t work. Hard to believe the digital copy is that much more expensive.

Bummer.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bought this for PS4 since I wasn’t about to pay $60 for it digital to play on Xbox.

I haven’t played much of anything outside of MyLeague, and I’ll admit that the framing of it is solid. I was able to download the real 2022 draft class, creating players is easy, and the settings are flexible enough to allow you to play shorter games but still compete for yearly awards like the MVP. But my god, the games themselves are just bad.

Some things that stand out:

• There is clear and obvious scripting. I had 8 turnovers in the first quarter of one game, and 19 total through 3 quarters. For reference, I average 7.7 turnovers per GAME. The team with the highest turnover rate in the league averages 8.7 per GAME. It was just absurd. I had more people just step out of bounds in 3 quarters than I’ve had in the 10ish other games I’ve played combined.

• The players just do so much stupid shit that makes no sense. AI Defenders just move out of the way for no reason while defending the ball. I had AD wide open for an alley oop at one point, but he just kept running until he was literally under the backboard (almost out of bounds) and the ball just sailed behind him. AI defense is hilariously bad sometimes. I’ve had it happen multiple times where I’m defending the ball, and an AI defender is standing right behind me, essentially guarding my backside.

3. The shot feedback just disappears some games. I’ve liked using it early on to learn the shot mechanics of the various players. It tells you whether your release was early, late, or on time, as well as how “covered” the shot was. It’s extremely helpful, but it just goes missing in probably 33% of games.

Oh, and the Suns offered to trade me Chris Paul for Westbrook. Lmao

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The balance in 2K is awful. The Bucks and a few other top teams play me tough and can beat me. But then I play the Spurs and they have 2 points with 2:35 left in the 2nd quarter. I routinely beat low and middle tier teams by 30+.

I think the only thing that might save it for me is if I can snag Kennedy Chandler in the draft.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Picking up Chandler and Richardson has made 2k22 significantly more fun.

Could probably build a decent little Tennessee team:

Chandler
    Keon
    Richardson
    Williams
    Harris

Springer
    Admiral
    Pons
    Powell

Throw a fake UT center (Plavsic, lol) in with Chandler’s class and advance 3 seasons into the future… you’d have yourself a decent little team. Keon is a 76 in year 2 of my league, and Springer is a 75. Richardson a 78. Not sure about Grant or Harris, but they’re bound to be decent. Probably a decent shot those 3 years make Richardson and Harris a fair bit worse though.

Wont be the highest rated team in the world, but should be able to compete.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I was playing 2k 20 maybe? With the Knicks and I put Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson on there with Richardson, Tobias Harris, and Mitchell Robinson with a bench of Jordan Bone, Jordan McRae, Admiral Schofield, Grant Williams, and Taj Gibson. It was a pretty fun team