Winter Olympics 2022

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2022.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

From what I was reading she likely has a low-key dual citizenship. Appears China figured the best way to get medals was to allow it for the time being.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship either. Practically, it makes no difference if a country recognizes citizenship to another country of one of its citizens. And we make people disavow citizenship to other places as well. So if China let her not disavow citizenship, which again would make no practical difference to her being a citizen elsewhere, that would be a heck of a concession.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The articles coming out about the treatment of athletes and conditions of Olympic Village are something else too.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, I’ve seen a few tweets about food. It’s pretty bad. But also, feels like this is something we see and hear at every Olympics. You’d think they’d have their shot together by now.

I saw a story from Usain Bolt a while back, where he said he basically ate an absurd amount of chicken nuggets (like 1+ plus), because it was the one thing he knew wouldn’t make him sick.

5. CardinalVol

I saw that. Ironically, it was the 08 Olympics in Bejing he was talking about.

The quarantine seems really, really bad.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

China is one of those places I’ve never been particularly interested in visiting and I get less interested every passing day

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The country is beautiful, and I would love to see it. But their government is the worst and I have no desire to even come remotely under their sway, even for two weeks.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, you’re right that was Bejing now that you mention it.

I also remember in Sochi how people were complaining that their bathrooms didn’t work in the dorms, or their doors wouldn’t lock (or even have door handles at all!).

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yes we do. I work with a dual US citizen.

10. NorrisAlan

I believe this is correct.

11. CardinalVol

Was Sochi the one they were putting stuff together up until the day athletes got there?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

A good rule of thumb should be if you are worried the government response towards athletes who make unpopular or critical comments and have to pointedly state for people to be careful of what they say, then it isn't a good place for the entire world to congregate.

14. NorrisAlan

But we love that sweet, sweet yuan.

15. CardinalVol

And cheap, cheap labor.

Joseph Brant and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you are a citizen of 2 countries you are a dual national. US doesn't make regular people revoke their foreign citizen so dual nationals are allowed. So when you say the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship they do, they just care about the US part. China historically requires you to denounce any prior citizenship to obtain Chinese citizenship, but from what I read this seems unlikely to have happened with the US/China ski-er. The guy that I work with is both a citizen of Mexico and the US, in China that wouldn't be allowed.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

When I say the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship, what I mean is they only care about the US part. There is no US law recognizing or regarding dual citizenship. Sounds like we are saying the same thing.

Look at the oath you swear when becoming a US citizen:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's a differentiation from China where to claim Chinese citizenship, they force you to renounce any previous citizenship, something we don't do for the average person. So in my mind that's the US allowing dual citizenship.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

What does "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen" if not "entirely renounce" ... "all allegiance and fidelity to any" ... "state of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen" ? Is that not quite literally swearing an oath renouncing all other citizenship? If not, what is it?

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Because you get to keep your other citizenship.