2022 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 17, 2022.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is having a blast right now. It was a perfect situation for him.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I suddenly don't care about Saturday's loss anymore

zehr27 likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I require the entire universe to be under a Power T supremacy. Basketball, baseball, football. Land, sea, air. Space. Cyber. Wherever the place antman went. All of it.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Hey, that baseball team there.....hoo boy.

zehr27 likes this.
  5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

What evidence do I have to show that we didn't guard a wide open 7'1 center on his 5 three point attempts? Or get somebody in there that would actually at least get in his face on the perimeter? I guess other than watching the game and seeing him take one wide open 3 after another without any change in strategy towards guarding him outside the line, I've got nothing.

6. InVolNerable

No, no. You're right. Don't guard the guy who is 3/5 from long range because his season average says he won't keep it up. Strong basketball minds definitely concur that it doesn't matter how well a player is playing in a game, you always guard them based on how they've averaged statistically throughout the season.

Correct, basketball isn't my favorite sport so I don't follow it as closely. It's a good filler for the football offseason, but I follow it enough. I readily admit it, and if cognizant and coherent points were made to counter anything I've said, I would absolutely be open to hearing them. You just can't make any, because you are a [uck fay]ing moron who thinks way too highly of yourself and any type of acumen you think you may have. My favorite thing is when you get fixated on completely fallacious talking points that the little peanut in your skull has fabricated, and try to keep bringing it up like some type of gotcha.

And that's not just limited to basketball. That goes for any subject you try to engage in.

7. InVolNerable

Because it wasn't a consistent event. I imagine if you were to hit multiple half court shots in a game in 1/3 of your pick up games, people would (hopefully) pick up on that and pick you up at half court after you'd hit the first one.

This is assuming they have access to the vast array of data and statistics from your previous games, like NCAA and pro coaches have (HS too, but to a lesser extent).

And time to study up on tape, which pick up games rarely afford.

And a head coach to remind the people you're playing, "hey, just because this guy doesn't shoot half court shots every game, that doesn't mean he can't drain them once he gets going. So keep an eye on him."

But outside of that, the comparison of a YMCA pick up game to an NCAAT game is spot on.

Tenacious D and KyleAlexanderfan like this.
  8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

IIRC, there is/was a KA screen name on VN, who was active in their MBB forum. I joined over there ~2011, I think?

I could not tell you if that SN is still active/banned or left because people stopped engaging. I personally did not follow close enuff.

However, it has been quite some time since I participated or lurked on that board. Primarily because it devolved into childish rants/trolling (much like this thread); little to no meaningful sports info/discussions; and puzzling, cliqueish bans.

A friend pointed me to this board and I have enjoyed it more. Although at times, I find myself clueless in understanding why supposedly grown-azz "men" have the need to behave as they do on any interwebz forum/media format.

I have observed that there are, indeed, some very miserable, argumentative people in this world. It is a shame that they choose to share their knowledge/opinion in that manner.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Anything that UT does from the 2nd weekend on now is just a bonus. For one of the highest paid coaches in America. Hopefully there are a lot of bonuses coming but history says it isn't happening.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

ESPN has Kennedy as the #17 pick in their recent mock draft. I think a projection like this one would end any hope of him staying and with good reason.

lylsmorr likes this.
  11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Get that bread.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Who is KAF

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not staying if he's sure he's got guaranteed money coming. Some mock drafts have him way up there and some have him early 2nd, though

14. InVolNerable

I think with NIL in place, we could bring him back with enough financial security to persuade him, provided he thinks he could make it into the lottery selections with an extra year of work under his belt. I think a lot of people might overlook how good the NIL actually is for college sports since it's still in its first year. All they're seeing now is all these kids making a big chunk of change where they were at 0 before.

But now they can actually weigh options of staying vs leaving for the pros relatively more evenly, and I think a lot of kids right on the cusp end up coming back and playing their junior/senior years because it's not a take it or leave it game when it comes to the ability to make money and/or provide for their family anymore. You can get a lot more followers, which leads to bigger NIL/endorsement deals, if you're leading your college team than you can riding pine in the NBA. But we haven't been witness to that type of side-effect yet since it's so new.

If we can give Nico $8million over 4 years, surely we could give Chandler $2.5 mill for one more year (the average first year salary of the #17 pick).

Mix that with how Chandler broke down after the game on Saturday (obviously isn't just here to kill the one year gap period), I could see him wanting to come back and give it one more go. That's not to say it's likely. But it's not 0%

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    A-Smith and Volst53 like this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The risk of injury for Kennedy isn't worth it iyam. He showed enough on tape this year

16. InVolNerable

I get that side of it too. But before it was, "Go pro and hopefully get drafted so you can make some money. Or stay and get your education, while continuing to eat on the meal plan and buy dip with bonus bucks."

Now it's, "go pro, and hopefully get drafted to guarantee a couple years of salary. Or stay in school, work towards a degree, while also making a comparable amount to being in the league, just not guaranteed for as long." But even the "not guaranteed for as long" part is iffy, because fans from schools like Tennessee have shown that they will go out of their way to ensure the guys who give it all for the school on the field or court will get taken care of. So an injury that might take him out a year isn't nearly the death blow to a career like it used to be.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

All it takes is one injury to end your career too.

18. InVolNerable

Correct. And that injury can happen just as easily in the NBA as it can in the college game. The only difference now is that the college game can offer comparable monetary assurances, where before that aspect of the decision was tilted entirely in favor of the NBA. It's not as dire to try to get to the league as quickly as possible anymore; a college kid has more options now, and can make better and more informed decisions regarding their future instead of taking the first cash grab dangled in front of them.

zehr27 likes this.
  19. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

We would need to give him a Nico deal to have a shot. Like 3 years of his projected rookie contract. And even then I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

In this case I still don't see it. There's nothing more for him here.