The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Because she works for ESPN (I assume, it is in her name).

"We had a record sales month ever, Christmas or not Christmas!"

"Yeah, but why aren't you counting in Amazon? They still crushed you."

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Anyone that thinks it is misleading probably has a favorite flavor of crayon.

The game between UCONN and USCjr.(had to Google who played) is the highest rated college basketball game on ESPN since 2008 (assuming she's correct. Even without the men's tournament on ESPN, that is an insane stat. UNC @ Duke was on ESPN in March, K's last home game that was hyped for a month and a huge rivalry, and it having a lower rating than any women's game is wild.

InVolNerable and Poppa T like this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

People watch Maury povich too. Who cares. I did watch a little bit just to see if Geno is still transforming into an elderly woman and to watch him lose. Womens college ball is a terrible product.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

This aged well.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I’d rather go to a wine tasting by jqk at Olive Garden with Indy than watch 5 minutes of womens basketball

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    justingroves and utvol0427 like this.
  6. NorrisAlan

It's pretty bad.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Am I riled up?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's a fair point. I didn't realize she works for ESPN.

Still think it's misleading to compare a women's national championship game to regular season men's games.

I would be curious to see a top 25 list for most-watched college basketball games on ESPN, all time. Do they have the women's title game every year? Does it always outperform regular season men's games?

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

About a week from now I’ll be drinking wine on the peninsula

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What is up with people on this site thinking anyone outside of North Carolina gives a [uck fay] about UNC/Duke regular season basketball games?

According to the interwebz, there have been a lot of women's title games that have had higher viewership than that Duke/UNC game this year.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...mens-basketball-championship-game-since-2014/

So last year's women's championship game was the most viewed NCAA women's championship game since 2014. It also had more viewers than this year's Duke/UNC game. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm, but my guess is that it was likely the most watched college basketball game (men's or women's) on ESPN that year as well.

So what exactly is overly unique about this year?

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I assumed more people gave a [uck fay] about it, or any other big men's game that has been televised on ESPN in the last 14 years, than any women's basketball game, NC or otherwise. It's why the tweet was interesting or in no way misleading.

Is your favorite red? I bet it's red.

InVolNerable likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

I hate not-watch Duke/UNC at the same rate I hate not-watch women’s basketball

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd say it is more in response to the constant refrain of "no one watches women's basketball." Which is apparently not true.

NashVol11 likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

#NeverForget

A-Smith, Volsdude, Indy and 3 others like this.
  16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Either that or you like to hear yourself talk.
    I'll hang up and listen.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t think anyone who says that truly means “no one.” They mean significantly less people than the number who watch men’s basketball. And if you compare the numbers from the respective title games, it seems accurate.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Or I’m just passing time posting on a message board.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m sure other games being on/played that day, and even at the same time, is a contributing factor as well. How many people watched the most recent time that Duke/UNC played, when they were the only game on TV and 1 of 2 games being played that day?

The tweet is still misleading. Again I ask, does this happen every year? Why is this tweet worthy if it’s not unique to 2022?

I’m partial to blue, actually.

20. NorrisAlan

4.6 million compared to 10.7 million (women/men) for the championship games is not significant, in my book.

I am not defending women's basketball, I think overall it is a horrible product and I would rather punch myself than watch it, but the championship game, at least, has viewership. But so does the Kentucky Derby, but that doesn't mean a crap ton of people love horse racing. It is a spectacle and people tune in.

IP likes this.