The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Words have meaning. ESPN puts a lot of stuff on that gets less than 4 million viewers. Including many men's games.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Where are you getting 10.7 million? I can’t look just the second, but I’m pretty sure I saw 18.7 million while browsing earlier. 4x as many seems significant.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Googled NCAA men's championship 2022 viewership and it said 10.7 million.

4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

The 10.7 figure was the average for all the 67 games. The title game was 18.1 million.

“The Kansas/UNC game delivered an average of 18.1 million viewers, based on total audience delivery, an increase of 4% over last year’s national championship (Baylor vs. Gonzaga),” Turner Sports said in a news release. Last year’s title game was on CBS.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Roger that.

I stand corrected.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Even 10 million is more than double. I’d still call that significant

Indy likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many people watch regular season women’s college basketball games?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who said anything about that?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well, we are talking about the comment “no one watches women's college basketball.” You pointed out that 4.6 million people is a lot more than other programs ESPN airs, including many men’s college hoops games.

But wouldn’t it make more sense to judge whether people watch womens college basketball based on the regular season games?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

In the context of making that tweet misleading or not, no. You seem to be sensitive about this. Why? Has women's basketball viewership hurt you?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

I bet a lot of kickers watch women’s basketball

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not sure what makes you think I’m sensitive about it. I’m having a conversation.

You brought up people saying “no one watches womens college bball.” Why not unpack it? Are we not allowed to move from the tweet into other conversations?

Also, I’ve been called sensitive, told that I’m riled up, and been told I eat crayons in this thread. Can we not just talk about stuff?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

You responded by saying people don't mean what they say. So that kind of ends a conversation awkwardly, since you excuse those semantics but not the tweet's. Kind of makes you seem like you have a problem with people watching women's basketball.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. You’re not a stranger to hyperbole.

“That was the worst movie I’ve ever seen!”

“He’s the funniest guy on earth!”

“Nobody watches women’s college bball!”

It’s not meant to be taken literally, and pretty much everyone knows that. It just means that not a lot of people watch women’s college bball, which is something you can disagree with and we can debate. But I think it makes more sense to look at viewership of the average game than the biggest game of the season if you want to judge.

I’m not sure why understanding hyperbole in the above situation has anything to do with taking issue with the Tweet.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is very clear to anyone bothering to read this what it has to do with it.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ok.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm a little surprised Duke is bringing in the 5 stars at a greater rate than anyone and just got another one for next year considering they have a first year coach who hasn't proven anything yet. Yes, I know he was a long time assistant and probably made plenty of connections, but no Coach K would've seemed to have a bit more of an influence than it has I would've thought.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

13, tops

20. JohnnyQuickkick

ESPN probably has a warehouse full of tvs they turn on to boost the ratings

10SEvols likes this.