Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 2bd baseman's dad like half hugged me and thanked me for having his kid's back after the game

droski likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The comments below the video are just as bad. So many dipshits doing the "if you can't take yelling then you shouldn't play sports" line as well as the absolute worst take in every situation "in my day...". They're [uck fay]ing little kids, talk to them. Explain the situation and why they need to make the play a certain way.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I can be an in my day guy but not all the time and not here. Bent over hands on knees, leaning in, yelling. The kids body language shows he’s basically overwhelmed and confused. And it’s tball. I hope that coach sees the twitter stuff and has a reckoning

4. Unimane

Been a while since I've mentioned my son's soccer here, but he wrapped up his high school career last evening with a loss in the state semifinal. His team was the more dominant team, but couldn't find the back of the net and ended up giving away two corner kick goals to bow out. Tough way to go and they probably had the best team in the state two years running. Last year, injuries got them in the end and, this year, they got a team who parked the bus and squeezed out two goals without really threatening much all match. The boy was pretty broken up about it, years after he claimed school ball wasn't important to him and travel ball was where his attention went. I told him then you'll never have as much fun as you will playing with your buddies and going through the post-season representing your school. Turns out I was right and last night was the difficult point which happens for most athletes in losing before you reach the final goal.

Fortunately, he's off to college and will play ball there. 10 hours away makes it hard for me to attend on a weekly basis, like I'm used to doing for the last 13 years, though.

chavisut, CardinalVol, VolDad and 2 others like this.
  5. Unimane

I do the "In my day..." stuff, too, but I try not to do so, as it never really works. Kids give two shits about what happened in my day. They weren't there and they don't see it applying to them now. Looking from the outside, I mostly do it for myself, if I'm being honest. If you can make a kid understand why something is relevant now, then it's a million times more effective.

6. Ssmiff

thats awesome. Wish you would have shared more along the journey. I like reading about other kids paths.
    Where is he going?

Unimane likes this.
  7. Unimane

He is headed to play at Oberlin College in Ohio. I think he could've gone D2 or low D1, but Covid hit in his prime recruiting window and the opportunities were slim. Fortunately, he is an excellent student and was able to parlay this into academic money, then got a few coaches interested in him with some leg work and academic credentials in hand.

chavisut and CardinalVol like this.
  8. Ssmiff

the Yeomen! Funny my son just recently got a follow from Oberlin coach on his NCSA profile. I have a friend as well who helps families find those academic/athletic matches. There are sooo many schools out there that we’ve never heard of and opportunities. He will get emails from coaches saying “find me a 2b” or “soccer midfielder with a 3.5 or above” and kids find good matches for them.
    Having options is the key for an athletic kid who is smart, and to be open minded. Find a sport you like best by 9th grade, imo, even if you play others, spend most of your time on the favorite, do well in the classroom and families can find a good fit. NAIA as well.

9. Unimane

It's an excellent school, high quality education. Super liberal and has a fascinating history. Quite expensive, but my son was able to get all but $2,000 of the $80,000 in academic scholarships and grants. Yeah, you are right, though. Sooo many opportunities lurking out there among schools most people didn't even know existed and they have money to give.

justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wrapped up 7/8 year old baseball yesterday by run ruling the best 7/8 year old team, total ass whipping. We played a shift and our infielders at the edge if the dirt and was accused of "bush league baseball" by a 40 year old in a flat bill.

It was a satisfying win. I reminded him it wasn't bush league every time we scored a run.

This little team finished 7-2 over the last 9 games, it was the most fun I've ever had coaching, every kid got better every practice and they legitimately liked each other. The end of the year party lasted 4 hours

11. Ssmiff

Excited for my son going into soph year. Has been getting prospect camp invites. So far Mars Hill, Salem St, Fairleigh Dickenson, Keystone, Jacksonville U and a few others as well as a New England Showcase event. Mainly D2 and D3 which is cool. We don’t see him being D1 level but you never know as he’s still in developmental stage and could grow a few more inches or stay at 5’9. Not 16 yet so hope to see another spurt

12. Unimane

Final addendum to my son's soccer season. He was voted to the all-state team by the coaches association. I think it amounted to his coach getting a slot because they were state semifinalists and he chose my son, but definitely an honor. I also found out his D3 team will travel to Notre Dame for a match in October, which should be fun, too.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Football practice starts today. My son's last year in the youth org. Hoping for a killer season.

For my 7 and 8 team, I'm cautiously optimistic they have potential to be very, very good.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my nephew is on a team that went to dream park in cooperstown. that huge 12u baseball tournament. first 3 games they lose by double digits. 4th game they go up 8-0 in the top of the 1st. Now they are down 9-8 after 1. man.

15. CardinalVol

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah sounds awesome. not sure i want to go, pay the $5k just for the kid, and get mercied every game though.

17. CardinalVol

Few months ago we were at some event and I drunkenly promised one of my wife's friends that her son could gave a spot on the team.

So yeah, glad I did. Kid has stud potential. All kinds of natural ability, just has to figure out what's going on.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

19. Ssmiff

After some lessons and working out my sons shot has gone from 65 mph to 80 mph and he’s up 8 lbs. you guys Wait and see as it’s crazy when your little kids hit 15/16 and change right in front of you.

20. CardinalVol

Jamboree today. Had a 35 to 0 lead and I pulled my starters and put in my 7s. Other team leaves starters in and gets to 35 to 28. I put starters back in to take a knee and a couple of fans start booing saying to let the kids play........

We play them again Sept 3. I think I'm going to let my team play.