Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Are you just guessing this? There are some differences, but I can assure you they have drug, family, and political problems in Peru, too. In fact, I would say it’s more broken in Peru than America. They are not far removed from a terrorist insurgency which wreaked havoc in the country. There is also greater poverty and the accompanying sense of despair, anger, etc. The homes in Peru, especially ones with money, almost always have walls with razor wire, electric wire, or broken glass at the top to ward off potential robbers, so the divide between rich and poor is pronounced. There are definitely plenty of issues, but gun access is difficult and there aren’t any school shootings.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Of course it’s dumb, since you don’t agree. Part of the problems I mentioned. Who cares how many Presidents they have had. Comparing that to daily left vs right isn’t something you would see as you don’t even see yourself as part of that fight, even with your daily posts about GOP being the problem.
    Their kids aren’t on as many pills, divorce rate is opposite of US, internet bullying isn’t the same and school testing pressures aren’t either, none of which you can refute. I doubt you have any experience raising kids or trying to explain to a group of 14 yr olds why their friend hung himself in the closet, so your opinion on the matter means little.

3. Ssmiff

I understand the gun access. I do not understand the insistence that mental health in US is the same elsewhere, for multiple reasons. And of course don’t expect anyone on the far right or left to admit they are part of the problem which makes people hate those who don’t think like them, and act on that hate.

4. Ssmiff

I don’t believe the suicide rate is much lower in other countries, such as Peru, vs the US simply due to gun access. Seems a little naive to think so, and ignores many factors.

5. Unimane

I’m not quite sure what is meant by your last line, but you still sound like you are simply guessing on the mental health part. Mental health is definitely a problem in Peru and more stigmatized than in America, so they receive less attention and care, more disapproval. Mental health problems aren’t unique to America.

6. Ssmiff

no they aren’t unique, but there are diffferent pressures and more kids/people on pills here compared to other places. Honduras is as rough and poor as it gets, so if that’s such a big factor, why one of the lowest suicide rates in the world? Again, I don’t and won’t believe it’s simply due to gun access.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, my lack of experience raising kids means I have no knowledge of Peru. Nailed it.

If you think I'll sit down and let you ramble because of some a reference to explaining suicide to a 14 year old, you're gonna have a bad time. Weak.

If I had to explain suicide to a younger person, will your opinion mean little?

8. Ssmiff

So why is the suicide rate there much lower, because of gun access? I believe Japan and Korea have high rates as well. How is their gun access..

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be clear, are we counting suicides as gun violence now? Because earlier I was told we shouldn't and it isn't the same thing. So now we count them?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

And why would we bring up guns when you are talking about someone hanging themselves? Please state a coherent thesis statement.

11. Ssmiff

Count however and whatever you wish. I simply posted various reasons why could be so high in the US, which you said was a dumb take, yet didn’t support your stance in any way except for “Peru had 3 presidents…”
    If you only want to blame guns, go ahead. You are just wrong, for the first time ever I assume.

12. Unimane

You won’t believe or just don’t want to believe? I can assure you there are kids in Peru who get bullied just as much as in America. They also have social media there. They have kids using drugs. Pharmacies are far more lax in their distribution of drugs there, too. They have kids getting abused.

I don’t know of any comparative study on the mental health of the two countries, but I’m pretty knowledgeable on the lives of kids and people in both countries. There are definite differences, but I wouldn't say the two end up far apart in terms of mental health for kids, considering all factors for each group.

13. Ssmiff

mental health discussion, as you and others say mental health issues in US are the same as everywhere else. They arent, for various reasons you don’t acknowledge.

14. Ssmiff

so lack of gun access is the reason Peruvian teens commit suicide at a much lower rate? im saying multiple factors as it seems the argument is one factor, gun access. So yes I don’t want to believe something that is not accurate in my opinion.

15. Unimane

Your original argument is mental health is somehow unique in America and it’s morphed specifically into suicide rates. There are countries with higher and lower teen suicide rates, so I’m not sure what makes us unique there in your argument. Suicidal thoughts are different than homicidal, too.

What is unique are the mass school shootings and other mass shootings which occur regularly in America. Your argument seems to be one of a conclusion seeking a cause, but the issue of access to certain types of weapons is something which is particularly unusual in this country. Mental health is not.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Harvard did a look at states and suicide rates and found a correlation between guns and suicide.

It would be tough to argue that Mississippi has stronger mental health pressures than Oregon, or whatever, but I suppose you could give it a shot.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also mentioned that Peru is covered in coca plants and drugs are pretty ubiquitous. It is also at the heart of the current psychedelics trends. You're way, way off base. You had a conclusion and are trying to stand on it despite not having the information.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I did not say that. What are the reasons? Nothing you've said yet.

19. Ssmiff

way, way off base on what?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

not many kids on pharmaceuticals in Peru. No bullying/social media. Political stability and unity. All wrong.