The Ice Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Joseph Brant, Feb 16, 2014.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Tampa may be entitled to financial compensation for what Colorado has done to them tonight.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  2. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

This is kind of absurd. Not sure how to describe it. Still games to play, of course.

3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Also, didn’t have starting goalie.

4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

That was a complete decimation. I remember the Bruins beating the Canucks 8-1 in game three of the ‘11 finals, but that didn’t seem like the ass whooping that just happened. Maybe the Red Wings 7-0 annihilation of the Avs in game 7 of the 2002 WCF is the closest thing that I’ve seen to tonight.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Geez, just 16 shots on net for TB.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

That may the craziest thing about it. Vasy is absolutely world class

7. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Yep. Best in the game right now.

8. InVolNerable

He let in as many goals in the first period as he did the entire series against Florida.

I could see him taking this game as some slight, and just going on an absolute four game tear. They were down 2-0 to the Rangers too.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Unrivaled documentary on ESPN+ is really good.

10SEvols likes this.
  10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I took some notes, since I was discussing with friends. Figured I’d share here too:

1. Was so great to Brendan Shanahan get his love as a player. It’s no secret he brought a toughness to the Red Wings that they needed. Guy would play which ever game you wanted. If you wanted to play an offensive game, he would bang in the goals. If you wanted to muck it up, he was a happy to get down and dirty. And he’d probably whip your ass too. One of my all time fav players, up there with Stevie Y and Nick Lidstrom.
    2. Claude Lemieux was too good of a player to have this shit on his record. I had forgotten just how good he really was, including being a Conn Smythe winner.
    3. [uck fay] Patrick Roy forever and always. That said, did appreciate him talking about how exhausting fighting was, and recognizing he was too old for it. I had a similar experience, but in jail and not during the postgame or whenever he realized it.
    4. Maltby - McCarty - Draper. What a freaking line that was. Epitomized everything about a blue collar town like Detroit.
    5. Brian Burke is why players still aren’t protected like they should be. [uck fay] him too. The precedents he set continue to reverberate around the league.
    6. Hockey shit housing is really the best shithousing there is. For example, I had no clue about the bomb sniffing dogs. Hilarious.
    7. If Detroit doesn’t take care of business that night they absolutely don’t go on to hoist the trophy in back to back seasons.
    8. It’s always so hard to relive the limo accident. Even today. I had the same emotions watching this as I remember when Vladdy skated with the Cup. One of the greatest sports moments for me personally.
    9. In the topic of Vladimir Konstantinov, what a [uck fay]ing player that guy was. Just an absolute machine. Ruthless, hard hitting, exceptional in every aspect. He was robbed of his career and we we robbed of the privilege to watch him work. That said, he’s made some serious improvements and I’m really glad they included him. He never was a many of many words, just action.
    10. I don’t know if anything will come close in the NHL to the kind of all out hatred these two teams and fans had for each other ever again.

ole_orange and Joseph Brant like this.
  11. Joseph Brant

2 3ds and a 5th for Georgiev is the better than I could have hoped seeing as there was 0% chance of resigning him

12. Joseph Brant

Shanny was amazing. Also makes me bitter about how poorly run the Whalers were, of course in retrospect the goal was to get out of town, the reasoning for which I understand much better now than as a kid. The trade flow where they moved Pronger and Shanahan and end up with Keith Primeau and an outdated Paul Coffey stings though. Almost as bad as trading Francis, Dineen and Samuelsson to Pittsburgh for peanuts 5 years prior.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Shanny is kind of the hockey version of a baseball 5 tool player. He does everything at such a high level you almost forgot how good he was bc he was never great at one thing, just really really good at it all.

Edit for clarity.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Joseph Brant likes this.
  14. Joseph Brant

Im not comprehending the Letang deal at all. Of course he'll get buried with a phantom injury when the wheels fall off.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

St Louis fans were pissed by that trade but I’d say it worked out ok

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I really hated every last one of those guys except shanahan

17. Joseph Brant

You trade whatever the F you can for Matthew Tkachuck. Lafraniere and a few #1's? Sold.

18. InVolNerable

Doubt Rangers are in the running. He's said he’d be willing to sign long term deals with (and thus maximizing Calgary’s return) St. Louis, Vegas, Florida, Nashville and Dallas. So home and 4 no state income tax teams.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Doubt Rangers. Could be a movie or a job or ninkname

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The 20/25 year span the Red Wings had was unbelievable. They were one of the more well oiled machines in professional sports history. Definitely showed us Nashville yokels back in the early Pred days what a real hockey looked like.