What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My experience with this laptop has been weird so far.

Battery was lasting no time at all when I first got it. I'm talking 20% of the battery gone in a matter of minutes while I wasn't doing anything on it. Minor web browsing with discord on in the background killed it in like, 2 hours. Even from the moment I'd start using it, the power settings would say "100% charged, 2h 8min estimated time remaining."

I called in, told them about it, they said it shouldn't be doing that and that they'd send me a new one. Got the new one today. It was dead on arrival, so I plugged it in and let it charge up to 100% before giving it a whirl. From the moment I started it up and unplugged it from the power, 99% battery, 2h 7min remaining. So I'm sitting here like "what the actual [uck fay]?" Then it drops to 98% and says 1h 18min remaining.

So as you can imagine, I'm a little bit frustrated at this point. I call in. While I'm on hold, it drops to 87% and says 3h 34min remaining. And I can already tell it's lasting longer than the first one had.

In the meantime, I had turned on the first one just for shits and giggles. I knew I needed to wipe everything off of it before sending it back. I noticed the battery was full, which surprised me, so I figured I'd watch it and compare how it drained to the new one. 98% batter life, 5h 42min. The highest I had seen on either laptop. Left it on with stuff running in the background for a while, and it seemed to hold a charge relatively well. Granted, it says 69% 1h 33m left right now, so who the [uck fay] knows. Either way, the whole situation has just been weird as [uck fay].

Beyond that:
    • The docking station I bought doesn't charge either laptop. It's supposed to. I confirmed with them one of the times I called in that it's supposed to charge the laptop. So there's either a setting I've gotta figure out, or the thing is broken and I need to send it back (likely the former).

• I called in about the initial issue with the first laptop last Friday. They set up the return, and I didn't hear a peep from them after that. Called in today saying "Hey guys... haven't heard from you since Friday... when are you gonna ship the replacement?" They tell me it's already been shipped and is arriving today. Thanks for the heads up, fellas? Glad I was home today to receive it.

• The order didn't initially show up on my account. That made it harder to go through the process during the times I called in. When I spoke to them about it, they asked me to take a screen shot of my orders page showing no orders and email it to them. I did. Took them 45 minutes to even be able to see the email. We sat in chat that entire time, then eventually the dude told me to just give it 2 days and come back if it isn't corrected by then.
    Just such a weird, ongoing experience.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge came out today. It looks just like the old arcade/Nintendo games. I'm excited.

3. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Yo keep us posted. I’ve got my eye on it but working on finishing some other games before I buy any more.

4. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

For some reason it popped into my head today that during one of our ridiculous Battlefield winning streaks IP saw Indy was playing as a sniper and went off for a solid 20 minutes.

That said, the 8th/VN combined team was pretty much unbeatable at conquest in that game, whatever iteration it was

Volsdude likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I have no recollection of this, but I’d be down to play some Battlefield.

You play anymore? If so, on what? Steam has their summer sale going on, so I may buy some stuff. I’d be down for some hockey or BF…

6. Joseph Brant

I have an xbox x that I dont use enough. My 5 years of War Thunder progress arent transferable so that killed that.

Enjoyed Enlisted but they had too many scenarios for the player base so it became a "kill the bots" contest.

MLB is about all I do now, would rum NHL if anyone played

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Series X? I've got it. I'll get NHL if we have a group who will play.

8. Joseph Brant

I dont know anyone off hand, hell I dont even have a headset anymore

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh, sounds like we are dead in the water then. I assumed you'd have some people since you actually watch and keep up with hockey lol

10. Joseph Brant

Its pretty much a dead game unfortunately, player base is split between 4 consoles and they really haven't put any effort into it.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I generally buy fifa every other year so idk about odd years but ‘22 defender AI is just so stupid. Just insane decision after insane decision. Completely unnecessary diving header attempts that go under the ball. Youd think after 100 years of this game it would be better

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

FIFA is a terrible video game.

For the sake of my relationship, I'm retired from FUT. I bought 22 this weekend because Steam has it on sale for $10. Planning to play some pro clubs with some people, but that's about it.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I also bought Age of Empires II for nostalgia, as well as Cities: Skylines. Feels like I tried Sim City as a kid and enjoyed it but couldn't really figure out how to play it well. I've read Skylines is the best of those types of games available nowadays, so maybe I'll have better success as an adult.

14. Joseph Brant

The Show is my only regular game for 2 years now. My skill or lack thereof is the deciding factor, regardless of players.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I still enjoy playing it but yeah damn it’s terrible.

16. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I’ve never had a gaming laptop that can last longer than 2hrs unplugged, no matter what I’m doing on it. I may pick up a Linux machine, chromebook or a new Mac air for couch surfing and stuff.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Skylines is definitely more complex. Map sizes in the new SC really bothered me.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Definitely felt complex the first time I turned it on. I'll have to devote some time to learning it.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

You were an honorable combatant, who faced the enemy dealing out and receiving death while pushing objectives. Edge of the map, hiding in textures snipers harm their team more often than they help and do not create good gameplay for anyone. Allow me to expound. In this presentation I will lay out....

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm about a month into this laptop thing, and Lenovo is just terrible. Like, worst consumer experience I've ever had, terrible.

The issue has been primarily centered on the dock not charging the laptop (though there have been others). They told me the problem was that it was a Thunderbolt 3 dock, and my laptop has thunderbolt 4 ports - that if I purchased a Thunderbolt 4 dock, it would charge the laptop. I laughed at them and told them I was pretty sure they were full of it, but that I would follow their instructions and see what results came of it.

I now have a Thunderbolt 4 dock that neither charges my laptop nor displays the laptop on my 2 monitors. So a step backward.

The ThinkPad support person (a separate division of support, I guess) informed me that neither of these docks is or was ever going to charge my laptop (as I suspected). My Laptop needs 300W to charges, and both docking stations only deliver 135W. She laughed at the fact that the other support person told me the generation of Thunderbolt was the issue, and suggested that I just accept that I'm probably not going to find a docking station cable of charging my laptop. She recommended just going back to the Thunderbolt 3 dock, which was probably cheaper (It was. $78 cheaper). Worth noting that we reached this conclusion after about 4 total hours of troubleshooting (me by myself, me with a software engineer buddy, me with Lenovo support, me with ThinkPad support).

But, joke's on me! The Thunderbolt 3 docking station is now $50 more than it was the first time I bought it. And is Lenovo going to make up the difference, since it was their support person, who they have on recording telling me I needed a Thunderbolt 4 docking station, that initiated this entire debacle? Of course not. They can't do anything because I purchased it from a third party. Nevermind that they didn't have either option available on their website at the time, forcing me to purchase from a 3rd party.

Just an abortion of a company. I think I have 5 days left to return the laptop, and I'm strongly considering doing it on principle alone.