POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The issue is that a state can. That's the issue. That a state can.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They’ve also proven they don’t care about what a large percentage of Americans want or support.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

To Indy's point I think it unlikely any state will challenge interracial marriage, however the 3 cases specifically mentioned by Thomas are near certainties. The legal reasoning would hold for all, though. States are going to go after what they find icky, so a Loving challenge will not make it to SCOTUS. Yet.

4. fl0at_

It undermines the legitimacy of argument if the only thing that keeps a conclusion at bay is presentation.

NorrisAlan and gcbvol like this.
  5. gcbvol

Oh, I agree. Just speaking to the cherry picking nature of the whole thing.

If they use the same rationale for Dobbs then all 4 cases would be reversed.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have no quarrel with the courts/congress doing things that are against what the population wants. That is the basis of our government, in many ways, avoiding the tyranny of the majority.

That said, if you are going to do it for one item, do it for all items, even ones you think are sacred cows. Don't cherry pick your application of the law.

interracial marriage, too.

Gay marriage.

All marriage.

Drugs.

Every damn thing.

Or do nothing.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I swear y'all are baiting me, but I will bite. I DO think you will see interracial marriage get invoked on some level within the religious sphere. And it will ironically have people of various racial identifications supporting it. Will it get to the point of actually being voted on? I don't know. But y'all just seriously underestimate how old ideas can become fresh again given the right angle.

8. NorrisAlan

I put NOTHING out of reach in the current environment.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

How much of ending Jim Crow was legislated from the bench federally? Guess we're about to find out.

I feel confident that Tennessee does not have strong civil rights protections absent federal law.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. gcbvol

IP, I think it will happen. I just belive it's lower on the totem pole. As we transition into theocracy, interracial marriage will definitely be challenged.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm sure there are people out there who think interracial marriage should be outlawed. I think the number of those people is infinitesimally small. I don't think there is any chance in hell that number ever grows to the point where it even comes close to being enough to lead to a state outlawing interracial marriage.

And that's not even to mention the tremendous push back you would see from the other side, which would be like, 99.75% of the population.

12. NorrisAlan

We are not talking about what states will do. But to the logic the courts are using to overturn previous rulings.

Apply to all or apply to none. Don't cherry pick. You know this, I think, but are arguing something no one else is arguing, imho.

13. fl0at_

He doesn't know this. The entirety of a states rights argument rests on the ability to cherry pick.

To support states rights, one has to support the states right to cherry pick. Period.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not objecting to anything. You (and others) have brought up interracial marriage, as if it is in danger. I'm telling you why it's not.

Let the argument fail on all fronts. You are more likely to see interracial marriage enshrined as a Constitutional Amendment than you are to see it outlawed by any individual states. Because the American people widely agree that interracial marriage is an okay thing.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I am arguing that interracial marriage is in no danger of being outlawed. I fully understand the discussion.

16. fl0at_

If the only thing that prevents something is not reason, but existence, then there is a problem.

Reason should be the highest form of argument, not existence.

And you cannot cherry pick reason.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  17. fl0at_

Which is not the argument. The argument is the conclusion that it can, and should, if the others are.

IP, gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It does not matter about the numbers, as this decision has shown, it only matters who has the power and how much of a religious zealot they are.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    IP, gcbvol and The Dooz like this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Which numbers you talking about?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And it's a flawed argument. Because there is more than one way to protect something like this from being in danger. Interracial marriage has widespread support and virtually no opposition. If the Supreme Court's protection of it disappeared, it would immediately have legislative protection, if necessary. That's why it's not in danger in the same way that something like abortion is.

I get it. You expected the response to be "Oh no, we can't get rid of protections to interracial marriage. I must re-think my stance on this issue." Sorry.