The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Some interesting details for why Nick Wright ranks Hakeem ahead of Shaq on his 50 greatest players of the last 50 years. You don't see many lists that put Hakeem ahead of Shaq.

It also circles back a bit to the question of how you define "greatest." He said point blank that if you're ranking players based on their level of dominance at their Apex Prime, Shaq is the greatest player of all time. Apex prime Shaq is better than apex prime anyone else, including Jordan, LeBron, Kareem, etc., according to Nick. But that's not really how most people look at it when doing these sorts of rankings.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

From a skill standpoint no brainer for The Dream. Shaq is just a giant and nobody could compete with his size and strength. Olajuwon was poetry in the post

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You always get so hung up on that sort of thing. Size and strength tend to be an important part of sports and how great one can be at them.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yes when discussing basketball skills I tend to discuss the skills aspect when comparing…shooting, ballhandling, footwork, vision, etc. Besides size and strength, what set Shaq apart? And if he was 6’10 instead of 7’2 would he have been as dominant? I think not. You can choose how you judge skill levels and I will choose how I judge.

InVolNerable likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But he wasn't 6'10... he was 7'2. If MJ was 6'1 instead of 6'6, would he have been as dominant? The questions are completely irrelevant.

What I'm saying is, most of the time, when I bring up who is "greater" between 2 or more players, you focus in 100% on the skills piece of it. And while I agree that the skills piece of it is important, so too are the size, athleticism, strength, stats, etc. portions of it. But you seem to put all of your focus on just the skills, which is odd.

I guess, for me, your last sentence is the problem. I'm not judging skill levels. I'm judging greatness. Skill level is a part of greatness, but it's far from the only part. But you always respond to these posts/conversations as if skill levels are the only part that matter. It's just weird.

NashVol11 likes this.
  6. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I’m curious to see if they get wiseman up to speed next year what they look like. They could definitely be the best team in the NBA again if he plays like a real #2 overall pick by the end of the season.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Darn. No chaos.

8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Lol

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Holy shit this is amazing

NashVol11 likes this.
  10. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

The NBA offseason remains undefeated

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

With all the shit Draymond has been talking, I REALLY hope Durant goes to the West.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, may be off here, but it feels like this puts Kyrie to the Lakers squarely back on the table. The Nets are assumedly rebuilding now, so getting something back for Kyrie before he walks next season would be a good move. But it gives him back the leverage because who is going to trade for him if they don’t have something close to a guarantee that he will re sign next year?

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Gobert to Minnesota.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No idea what to expect for KD trade.

For Kyrie - as much as I’d love to see “Kyrie to the Lakers” before the weekend ends, the more I think about it, the more I think this one will be delayed until the season. The Nets have no leverage right now, but they gain leverage by holding him until the trade deadline.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also don’t really understand the people who want to see KD/Kyrie/LBJ over AD/Kyrie/LBJ.

The latter feels like a significantly better trio than the former, to me, if everyone is healthy. You get plenty of offensive firepower with both, but AD brings elite defense.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I can't wait for the Lakers saga of LeBron's eventual life/career documentary. These [uck fay]ing idiots.

Reports are saying the Nets want to throw Joe Harris into the Russ/Kyrie deal to match salaries, but the Lakers prefer Seth Curry, which is holding things up.

At this point, as much as it would negatively impact LeBron, I almost want the Lakers to lose out on Kyrie. Just give them Russ, both 1st round picks, take Joe Harris, and move on with your lives happy as [uck fay] that you stumbled ass backwards into this godsend. What kind of [uck fay]ing moron doesn't leap head first into that deal? At this point, I'd dump Russ's salary for a 1-year deal with a slice of pizza.

They don't want both years of Harris's contract, which I get, but Harris is a perfectly fine role player. Even if the Kyrie experiment doesn't work out, at worst, you've got 2 years of a solid 3 point shooting role player and a large salary that opens up at the end of next year after Kyrie's contract expires. This is as much of a no brainer as you can get.

NashVol11 likes this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Read an article this morning that suggested there's a rift in the Lakers front office. LeBron wants them to trade for Kyrie, but they would prefer to trade for Buddy Hield and Myles Turner.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I'm not really sure what makes people think that the Lakers have the assets to trade for BOTH Turner and Hield. I believe they would have to include Westbrook in the deal to make salaries work. You're telling me there are no teams out there with better offers for Hield and/or Turner than Westbrook and a combo of picks and Kendrick Nunn/THT? I think people are dreaming.

The only reason the Kyrie deal is remotely possible is because no one else wants him, he's made it clear he wants to play for the Lakers, and the Nets don't want to let him walk for nothing at the end of this season. The Kyrie deal feels legitimately possible. The Turner/Hield stuff sounds like a pipedream.

And that doesn't even mention the on the court stuff. You take a healthy Kyrie every day of the week.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I do also wonder if the Lakers are trying to play 4D chess to make the Nets THINK there's a rift to gain further leverage. The Jeanie Buss random ass tweet about Kobe a week or so ago was super weird and didn't make sense. The reports about LeBron not caring about draft picks was weird as well. It just didn't make sense. Of course he doesn't care about a 2027 or a 2029 draft pick. He'll be like, 45 by the time those picks actually happen. But all the reports were going on and on about how he doesn't care about picks in general. It just didn't make much sense.

Maybe their goal is to make the Nets think that they truly do want to go a different direction (Hield and Turner) so that Brooklyn will agree to part with Kyrie for less? Not sure what else to make of all the nonsense.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We have finally* attracted a big time free agent to Indianapolis.

*Maybe.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst