Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

people don’t realize it but the Bay Area has produced a crapload of 4 and 5 stars and nfl players. On par with Atlanta metro. Also the big 10 has more alumni living in the Bay Area than any other city on the west coast. The big 12 would love to have cal and Stanford but cal and Stanford looks down on the big 12.

the other factor is uw and especially Oregon have been taking recruits from usc and ucla. Cal and Stanford have not. Cal has been playing usc and ucla for a hundred years. Usc has been playing cal longer than any other opponent including ucla. When the pac 10 expanded usc and ucla threatened to vote against it unless they continued to play cal and Stanford every year. I guarantee you usc and ucla want cal and Stanford more than Oregon and uw

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wonder if the big 12 would want Oregon and uw if they have to bring along Oregon state and wsu both which are worth basically zero.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Both of those schools are essentially MW level programs.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Plans for expansion gets complicated when State Legislatures start demanding that you cannot take 1 State School without taking the other.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's truly pathetic, too. If they want to boost the one left behind, they have the ability to do so. The state of athletics is a downstream effect of general support.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd much rather have boise state, unlv or san diego state (or gonzaga for that matter) than oregon state or washington state.

if the pac-12 could dump oregon state and wsu then the pac 8 would generate more income per team than the big 12

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Big 12 is going to go after both Arizona Schools, Colorado (this is funny to me), and Utah.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

makes sense. unless ND is telling the big 10 there is zero chance they will come, there is no reason for the big 10 to not wait to add anyone else.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hard for me to imagine arizona is worth much. i guess they have the basketball program, but tuscon is a dump and is small and arizona doesn't have any national fanbase at all. asu at least has the phoenix metro area to offer.

without oregon and uw I wouldn't think the big 12 would be interested. those 4 schools aren't going to increase their tv contract per capita i wouldn't think.

10. CardinalVol

I still wonder if Sankey and Co. isn't going to pull another rabbit out of a hat expansion wise. While I hate what it's becoming, if we're going to do it I'm aiming for the heart of Big 10 country and getting ND.

11. CardinalVol

Eventually this is headed to a 32-48 team super conference. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know. I know I would prefer the old 10 team SEC, but that's never happening. So, here is my list of teams I'd put as guarantees with current conference alignment if 32.

SEC - Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Arkansas
    ACC - Miami, FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, UNC
    B1G - Penn St, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa
    Indy - ND, BYU
    Big 12 - Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State, WVU, Baylor/Tech
    Pac 12 - USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Cal/Stanford/Utah

I could be convinced Ole Miss, Kentucky, Minnesota, K State, or Iowa St deserve mention in this as well.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

for ND the question is what has changed? nothing really. they will be welcome with open arms to any conference whenever they want to move. so what's their rush? especially given the fact they have to pay something like $120 mil to the ACC if they join the big 10.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think there’s a way that things could be put together that is palatable to me. I have zero faith in the powers that be to put it together in such a way though.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i wouldn't be surpised at all if oregon, cal, stanford, and uw join the acc. that's a much better fit than the big 12 and would give the acc huge media markets and an in for california recruiting.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

South Carolina would secede again.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is there any talk at all about just doing this for football and maybe basketball and having geographically tightknit conferences for other sports?

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that would sure make a lot of sense. especially if it was just football.

A-Smith likes this.
  19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Vanderbilt and Rutgers are ugly stepchildren in all this scheming.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

rutgers apparently added $100 mil to the big 10 tv contract. i guess having the big 10 network on the local cable basic package was worth a crapload of money.