OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Found out he has heartworms, but hopefully it can be treated. If not, we will make his life as comfortable as possible.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Dammit. Pulling for him.

3. NorrisAlan

Just looked it up and around 80% of adult dogs from the pound in the south have them.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is often treatable now

gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah he’ll be fine.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have been researching. Apparently they do not use that Arsenic drug anymore and odds of recovery are good.

7. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Def Leppard are freaking Professionals, can't get over what a crisp and clean set they played tonight

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

VolDad likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

When you are married 26 yrs..

Attached Files:

10. NorrisAlan

Bullshit. 26 years:

"Get me a gummy"

"Get your own damn gummy"

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

12. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

My great grandmother Elma. Thought of her driving home from Cincinnati, we took the eastern route through Coal Country. She was from Strong, Maine. Didnt realize til I was older that mom and her family grew up dirt floor poor. Gram's house is on the market for $69k with 13 acres.

Attached Files:

justingroves likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Think my utility bill personal record was set this last billing period. Anybody do solar? I know nothing about it except hearing stories about promised reductions of bills that don’t happen.
    Could you go all solar during summer only?

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm pretty sure @gcbvol has a solar setup. Our utility billion was by far the highest it's ever been and it was due to rate increase more so than increased usage. I'm definitely going to look into other options to see the they are worthwhile.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would caution you that it is generally regarded as a long term investment. It takes some years to get it back. I would do it in a heartbeat if I was in a place to afford it. But in reality, I think there are probably lower hanging fruit you could go after to reduce your bill. Look for vampire devices (things that are "on" that don't need to always be when you are not using them). Have you upgraded your windows to something energy efficient? How is your insulation generally? Do you close blinds during the day on the sunny side? How old is your AC unit, might it be low on coolant or otherwise not working efficiently? Before you drop a bunch on solar, make sure you think about that kind of stuff. Solar won't fix a laboring AC unit, for example.

Ssmiff likes this.
  16. gcbvol

We have a 10.4 kWh system plus a 13.5 KWh powerwall.

We went with a system designed to cover 75% of our annual energy use. If we are around 75% offset then we break even in terms of utility savings and solar loan payment; we're fine with that. Net metering was never factored into our decision making process, largely because I question its viability long term. We're happy to get what we can out of it while we can.

So over the most recent year our numbers are:

48.09 kWh avg daily home usage
    44.60 kWh avg daily solar production

Both vary quite a bit depending on time of year. Solar covers much more of our winter usage vs summer as AC is running every day. For example our most recent daily usage has ranged between 65-75 kWh.

A little more information:

1) We pay $0.10 per Kwh from PRECO
    2) PRECO pays us $0.04 per Kwh we send them
    3) We were sending ~4Kwh/day with one inverter. With both running we've been sending 15-20 per day.
    4) We pay a base charge to the utility of ~$40 (tax included). The only way to avoid it is to be fully off grid.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    IP likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

So how much was your elec bill last month and solar cost for month?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also keep in mind your setting will matter. Specifically the latitude of your house, the angle and orientation of your roof, etc. A gently sloped south-facing roof in Florida is ideal. The same roof in Tennessee is going to be slightly less advantageous due to annual sun angles. And you want no shade on them, obviously.

19. gcbvol

Our last 4 electric bills have ranged between $80-$100. We rolled our solar loan into mortgage refinance, but I believe it was around $200.

Before solar our electric ran $350-$400 in summer.

20. NorrisAlan

So all in all a plus on your side. Not huge, but it is there. Did you get any tax incentives or reimbursement from the government when you installed your solar panels? How often will you have to change out your battery? Or do you sell it all back to the grid and then draw your power from the grid and pay the difference?