Basketball Recruiting

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Instead of having it by year, perhaps it's just easier to do a running thread.

Anyway, we are in the final 2 for top tenish player Justin Edwards. It appears as if we've done a great job establishing a relationship and putting our due diligence into getting this kid for quite some time. However, it also appears as if Kentucky is going to swoop in late and snatch him when he commits next Monday, probably with a sizeable NIL deal for which I'm sure they have a willingness to go extra deep for hoops.

For as much as we beat Kentucky, unfortunately, they are still Kentucky and we don't seem to ever beat them on the recruiting trail head to head. This one will suck to lose. Kid is really damn good and we positioned ourselves very well. But, like Cason Wallace this past year, the kids still find the Kentucky name magical, no matter how many times we beat them.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

We do it by year because we want to increase the thread count and potential search results. More threads is good.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Cals dribble drive offense is attractive for some. And Ky history of good nba players. UT still doesn’t have many which stand out under Barnes.

4. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

With Barnes’ marriage to his system, he needs more guys that are upper echelon 4 year players rather than one and dones. I can’t think of any player who’s come through this program without a steep learning curve that takes most of the season to get through.

5. Ssmiff

really though what % come in across the country and have a learning curve. Only a few elite don’t. Adapting to playing defense, eating right, workout/school schedule and overall time management are things most kids aren’t used to handling, much less going against bigger and stronger men. Players have freedom offensively. Barnes would rather see aggressive and attack than scared to drive or shoot and you can see he’s often telling them to push it up the court to try for an early look before the defense is set. G Will made a living off early deep posts.

6. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I’m not saying there isn’t always a learning curve, just that playing for Barnes is inevitably steeper due to the system he wants to run on offense. You look at Cal at kentucky or Duke and they run a lot of iso/drive + dish simple scheme and then build a little wrinkles in as the year goes on. Barnes has more deliberate timing and motion built in. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, I’m just saying it lends itself more to players that are going to be here more than a year because the nuance is something the players have to get a feel for.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

I’ve mentioned some spacing issues with our offense and especially a 3rd man on the side of the pick and roll, but they added more Curry type handoffs last year. Whatever we run, players can still run and attack the rim early or take it to the rim or post at anytime within it. it looks worse without a good pg and when we can’t shoot or don’t have guys moving without the ball like santi does.

8. Unimane

As expected, Edwards chooses Kentucky. Interviewing the kid after his announcement, it's clear we did the most and longest amount of work on him. However, Kentucky was his "dream school" and, once Cal decided he was a must get, then it was a done deal. So, a Philly kid has Kentucky as their [dadgum] dream school? [uck fay]ing hell.

It seems as if we've done a lot of good work recruiting top tier kids the last few years who love us and Barnes, but got the stars in their eyes when their favorite school comes calling, causing us to end up second in a lot of these recruitments.

9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Don’t think an elite recruit is going to fall into our lap this cycle like the last.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

#firebarnes

11. KyleAlexanderfan

Auburn beat us out for Holloway today.

12. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

We’ve known for a while he wasn’t coming. That’s why we started pushing hard for DeMary, who we will probably get.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Got this guy

14. KyleAlexanderfan

What's the scouting report on this guy?

15. Unimane

He good.

16. KyleAlexanderfan

From what I read he can score at all 3 levels. Didn't see much about his handles, defense or athletic ability. I assume he's not as raw as a guy like Mashack.

Sounds like we got a good shot at landing Estrella at the beginning of September. If so it could salvage an otherwise disappointing start to the class. Borderline 5 star guy.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

JP Estrella committed

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

JP Estrella is a Vol. On3’s #16 overall prospect.

20. Unimane