Excitement building for 2022

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Jun 28, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Dooley nixing the UNC game was still the most shameful cancellation we’ve done imo.

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good afternoon,

This season matters. This is a potentially pivotal season in the new NIL world. A new narrative must be written about Tennessee for the 2020's and beyond.

• Ball State and Tennessee have never met. A new all-time series leader notch is on the table.
    • Pittsburgh is 3-0 against Tennessee all-time. Correcting that needs to begin.
    • Dominating Akron will be key in setting up players for award considerations down the line and affecting perception for season statistics as a team. This may sound silly, but perception has never mattered more.
    • Florida has won 16 of the last 17 meetings with Tennessee.
    • LSU has won 7 of the last 9 meetings with Tennessee.
    • Alabama has won 15 in a row against Tennessee, the largest streak in the series.
    • UT-Martin used to be called "the baby Vols."
    • Without any real head-to-head reason for believing so, Kentucky honestly believes they have surpassed Tennessee as a program.
    • Missouri's coach likes to crack jokes at Tennessee's expense. Missouri also honestly perceives themselves as being one of the top 3 programs in the division due to their early success.
    • South Carolina and their coach are the bell of the ball and seen as a dark horse by many.
    • Tennessee has dropped 6 games to Vanderbilt since 2005.
    No wonder Vol fans are so hungry, we've been starved.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

This post should be pasted up all over campus.

Poppa T likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I had literally blocked out that we had lost 3 in a row to them. So much of the last 15 years gets mixed up with nightmares. Hard to tell what really happened and what I dreamed.

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

8-4 is the floor. 7-5, barring a serious injury to Hooker, should be considered a massive disappointment. 6 wins or less would call everything into question. There’s a long list of coaches in their second year coming out of nowhere to have a great season. I don’t think that’s out of the question if the defense is merely decent.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think at this point, even with a hooker injury 6 wins or less would be highly problematic. I don't want to talk myself into expecting more than is reasonable, though. I think there is potential for a program changing season. But I think we are looking at an expectations-met mark of 8-4 and a realistic ceiling of 10-2. 7 wins being the floor. So ya, tight margins.

7. NorrisAlan

And I have been stating since Dooley, if a coach doesn't win anything by their third year (meaning SEC or National Championship), he historically is not ever going to do it. Oh, there are the outliers, but they are rare as hens' teeth.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

At the same time, you can't fire a coach for winning 9 or 10 games in year 3 after taking over a team with 2 wins. You can't. It's not reasonable and no one will want to come into that.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, the only way 7-5 doesn't make me redneck mad is if there's a ton of injuries

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee "should" be 9-3 but I'm expecting 8-4

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The days of farting around 6-6 should be done. IMO.

12. NorrisAlan

Oh, I would never advocate firing anyone after a 10 win season after the shit show we have suffered through .

But history is history and it is rare that he would make it. Just gotta be willing to reassess after every year without a championship at some point.

zehr27 likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think there is also a sample size bias in that, though. Coaches who don't win anything in 3 years don't coach there for much longer anywhere that matters. How many guys get 10 or 20 years if they don't ever win a championship?

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Only a few more weeks boys and girls and theys and thems! Might have to fly back to see a game or two now that we're actually looking like we're worth watching again.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  15. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

As long as we have to play Nick Saban every year I can’t really say I care about that stat. I’ve come to accept we will never win anything big while he’s at Bama.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And now that Georgia is turning into Bama lite, it's even harder.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

One thing at a time. Part of the reason they have been so good is because we have been so inept. Both would be a lot more beatable if Tennessee was consistent enough not to lose to flawed Florida teams and ooc foes like pitt.

Memtownvol, TDVol1989 and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Blah blah blah.
    Kesling still calling games. 7-8 wins till he’s not

HCKevinSteele and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am very ready for football. I've got it especially bad this year.

PilotFlyingJ and zehr27 like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't realize Pitt will likely be a Top 15 team.