POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Primarily going after the poor would be a continuation of the current approach, so it’s hardly far fetched. Also fwiw, I don’t think you can blame people who are skeptical the IRS would go after the biggest tax cheats, generally speaking that would be a complete 180 from the trends of the past 15 years.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

About a month ago I said something similar about the IRS, and droski pretty convincingly argued that the "poor" are actually the very wealthy who are claiming little or no income and that the stat is misunderstood.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Or we could just simplify the tax code and cut all federal tax exemptions and make it a flat rate per tier and stop using it as a political weapon and tool to generate donations and to hurt competition.

We’re so far in debt I do think they’ll go after the shadow economy, because inflating the debt away isn’t working very well politically.

4. HCKevinSteele

Yeah that’s just not true. The IRS has acknowledged this reality. Hell just look at a heat map of IRS audits and see where they are disproportionately high, it’s the Mississippi Delta and the black belt.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

@droski were you full of it or do you have a source? I need sources from each of you.

6. HCKevinSteele

7. HCKevinSteele

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

[dadgum]it, every time I receive a conservative position in good faith, it turns out to be bullshit.

9. HCKevinSteele

To be clear they are giving the IRS a metric shit ton of money so theoretically they can go after rich people, I’m just skeptical it will happen. Or if it does happen I’d bet on them unleashing hell on the least wealthy millionaires. New money, AC repair company owners, car dealer owners, etc.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Might have something to do with how state income taxes are done.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, the article is clear that it has to do with income. Conservative areas have more poverty.

13. HCKevinSteele

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. HCKevinSteele

The most impoverished areas stand out like a sore thumb. Delta and Blackbelt like I said but also eastern Kentucky, RGV. Shit you can pick out individual reservations. Sad.

IP likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

And it sort of makes sense if they are looking at specific tax break claims, but then it doesn't make sense to be doing it that way.

17. HCKevinSteele

Just saw that this calls for hiring 87,000 (!!!) new IRS agents. That is insane. I guess they’ll just hire and train college grads, I don’t know where else you’d find the bodies.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  18. HCKevinSteele

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

its always best to raise taxes and govt spending during an inflarecession

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like how everyone became experts in monetary policy. It's interesting especially because government spending is the lowest as percentage of GDP since 2007. It's almost like people are full of shit and have preconceived agendas.