Pathetic preseason rankings conference smack talk

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Aug 15, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm looking at Big 10 fans cry and Big 12 fans talk smack for having more ranked teams than the Pac 12. It's a sight to behold.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Preseason. Pshh. Fine with me.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pac 12 will be garbage once again

justingroves likes this.
  4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't understand the UK love.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me either

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think we Vol fans are biased against them because we have been having success against them.

I mean, looking at their schedule I see 9 wins pretty easily.

Tennessee plays Pitt, they play Louisville.

Tennessee has Alabama and LSU, they have Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

Switch schedules with Kentucky straight up and it is objectively an easier one. Unless someone wants to argue Ole Miss and MSU are tougher than Alabama and LSU. Or Louisville is better than Pitt.

We talk about 8-4 or 9-3. We'd be talking 10-2 with UK's schedule. And we'd be ranked already with their schedule. Because that's how [uck fay]ed up preseason rankings are. They look at expected wins/losses, and so it is circular to some degree.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

At some point the media decided stoops was a great coach

yont sum iss? and IP like this.
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Basilio talking about exactly this today. UK's schedule is just plain easier. Every year.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'd argue a preseason ranking shouldn't care about a schedule. You have to factor it in as the season progresses to weight the wins and losses, but I view preseason as more of a talent ranking. But maybe that's just how I look at it.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, but every preseason ranking is factoring in schedule if it has a non power 5 team in there. And when people talk about justifying a ranking, they are quick to reference it.

Listen to this guy at the 1:28 mark:

He straight up says UK is ranked because of their schedule.

So it is not a talent ranking. It should be, but it is not.

11. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I think they generally are more of a talent ranking than a ranking of who people anticipate being the best, even though it shouldn't be that way (in my opinion).

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can any of you substantiate this claim that they are more of a talent ranking rather than a ranking based on expected schedule result? I just posted a video where clearly an analyst doesn't see it that way.

Is Pittsburgh more talented than Tennessee? Is NC State? How would they do against Tennessee's schedule, better or worse?

Give me a [uck fay]ing break. You guys keep repeating something which you can't really believe.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Anyone that thinks it's a talent ranking when Wake Forest is currently in the top 25 while teams like LSU and Texas aren't ranked should probably find something else to do with their time instead of watching college football.

14. Ssmiff

I don’t think they put that much into it. Reputation, recruiting class rankings, images in their heads from last year and some schools/coaches will be put higher regardless.

utvol0427 likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Wake was good last year. Texas and lsu weren’t. That has to be in their heads and for example with UT, they may just look at the record and remember the bowl, not understanding we got screwed b ole miss, shoulda beaten pitt and were in the game vs ga and bama in the 3rd quarter with a first year coach, new qb and best wr having 8 catches in his career

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Some media guys just do wacky shit to get attention and people talking about them.

Preseason polls shouldn't exist. First rankings should come out Oct 1, but that will never happen because then ESPN couldn't hype up early season ranked match-ups.

17. Ssmiff

much rather be down the list preseason than be overhyped. Beat who you play every week and it works itself out.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think it should be. My preseason top 25 would probably look very different if I cared enough to make one. I also think a top 25 should be free to drastically change from week to week as more data comes in much like power rankings.

Ranking teams based on how hard a schedule is based on how good you think those teams are based on how hard their schedule based on how good those other teams are based on how hard their schedule is seems really really dumb. You've introduced a huge bias at step 0 and compound it all the way down.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one has the guts to rank 6-6 sec teams over 8-4 teams even though it is the reality.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The [uck fay] does it matter? Win your games and you'll be in the right spot. There will not be more than 4 undefeated teams, so if you win your games you'll be in.