POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So I've only caught bits and pieces of it (because as a red blooded southern male I watched football from 7 until after midnight) but yeah, some of that was.....creepy.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I, too, have only seen bits and pieces but it seems like people walked away with wildly different experiences. If you start out by differentiating between "MAGA Republicans" and mainstream ones, I don't see how one can honestly believe he was speaking about all of them. He clearly stated the majority are not that.

if "come together, unite behind the single purpose of defending our democracy regardless of your ideology" and "We can't allow violence to be normalized" are upsetting to someone, what does that say about them?

Also, if red is scary and evil, what does that say about our flag or the GOP? It's all a bunch of bullshit. Per usual.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I don’t think saying “if you aren’t thinking along the same lines as the majority, you are extreme” is something good to say. Biden didn’t but what’s her name did. Again, why be divisive at every chance.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess I didn't catch that part. I think violence, or trying to short-circuit the democratic process is unAmerican. Even if the majority does think along those lines.

5. Ssmiff

I don’t agree with the majority much at all. And am far from extreme. Aren’t the majority at home watching Maury Povich?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

probably. So I too would object to the idea that just thinking outside the lines of the majority makes you extreme, in the sense of dangerous, problematic, or whatever. if that is what someone said, I disagree too. I didn't hear them say that. What I quoted was direct quotes and I do agree with that.

I don't like red backlighting. But I don't think that was anything nefarious.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It wasn't that as much as creepy. And someone on twitter said, and I agree, republican or Democrat, dont use marines or any military in these speeches.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree with that. This isn't the first time, but every time it is worth repeating that they shouldn't be in the shot.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

But, the majority here isn't a basic Dem-Rep dichotomy or even a right-left deal, but, rather, a collective of people willing to accept and promote the type of authoritarian criminal cult of personality in Trump against those who think this is insanity. He's a guy who stole, among many, many other acts, classified documents for increasingly revealed scary means and which would have landed every other person in the country in a federal lock up tonight, yet has rallied a group of people to portray him as a victim and willing to raise mayhem solely on his behalf in the name of some idiotic version of self-serving patriotism.

So, the "majority" here is one who thinks this is a bad thing and, from what I gather, includes you in this large cohort, which is a good thing. Being in the majority isn't necessarily bad, unless it's Nickleback or Alabama football. Sometimes, the majority gets it right and that's the case here. Saying they are dangerous and a threat is merely calling water wet. Biden shouldn't pretend MAGA is some kind of legitimate discourse. It's about one guy, a guy who's willing to burn down the entire house to get what he wants. It's a good moment to come together as a people.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They were clearly leaning into the Dark Brandon stuff, so, given that, yes, it was supposed to have a somewhat sinister/nefarious aesthetic. The left is saying it is hilarious. So it’s not like there isn’t anything there at all. Of course the right is saying it is terrifying. Rorschach test type deal. One can only imagine how those roles would be completely reversed if Trump had done something similar. The traditional media would be selling rise of the Nazi type stories for weeks. There would be obituaries for the death of the republic.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Had done?" CPAC literally had a banner over their stage that said "we are all domestic terrorists." They've been leaning into that stuff since "basket of deplorables." But calling liberals devil worshippers, communists, groomers and pedophiles for over half a decade seems to be ignored. The double standard is what is so funny.

Remember "I am sure there are great people on both sides?"

Why does the country have a 2 year memory at all times?

12. Ssmiff

I think it’s funny all around. Funny that people thought it was a good idea and their rationale. Funny that people say they are terrified from the evil take over aspect, but agree with those terrified that so many people in politics are actually ritards. It’s a bunch of egomaniac, manipulative psychopaths who you all actually put your name behind as a lesser evil to the liar dumbass on the other side.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Lesser evil?" Look, you're doing it.

14. Ssmiff

you still think people voted for Biden because he’s Biden and a great leader, vs preventing Trump from winning, And vice versa? The majority of Americans vote so the other side doesn’t win. It’s all silly.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know one thing they’re tone def and have no clue on how to sell.

That message at night with the black and red background with marines in the distance doesn’t sell what they’re trying to sell.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The red and blue lights at night, you mean?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never thought that.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can someone clarify whether Biden is a vegetable and doesn't know where he is? Seems like the narrative has jumped and people were full of shit. And remain so.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should have worked a little more blue in there

justingroves and Ssmiff like this.