POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah Trump did stuff more stupid and bad.

If he had done *this* though it would have played right into the already teed up narrative that he is “literally Hitler.”

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

the damn Russians hacked the IT department.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

they did have blue at the main edges of the house but they knew that wouldn’t be in the background of the video and images.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

when this is brought up and people get defensive, it’s because it’s the truth. There would be memes out with Hitlers arm superimposed and “republikkkans” viral in a minute. Which would be pretty funny as well. It’s all one big running joke to me

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

When someone says this is bullshit and people try to deflect, it is because it is the truth. They know this is political theater.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Jesus, looks like something from The Wall.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's all in how you frame it. Here is what it looks like if you don't zoom in to grind an ax:

[​IMG]

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It was a strange one for sure. I think the messaging that falls flat with many was the theme that only his side represents "democracy". Some things he said were fine, but the message really got lost amongst the optics with folks who aren't die hard down-the-ballot Dem voters. WH really leaned into the whole "Dark Brandon" meme with the Emperor Palpatine vibes. A picture of a speech is not supposed to be more memorable than the actual speech itself. I'm not convinced he persuaded anyone over to "his side" that wasn't already going to vote blue this November anyway.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Seems like WH should've tested what viewers on TV were going to see before trotting him out to deliver a "you either vote for us or you are voting against democracy" primetime ultimatum.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

they’re either dumbasses or they bought into the Twitter dark Brandon stuff.

I think they bought into the dark Brandon bullshit and didn’t expect the blowback

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

As someone with no plans of voting for "his side" this upcoming election, I thought the best and most unifying part of that speech was when a few hecklers in the crowd started chanting "f you Biden" and he went off script to acknowledge the hecklers by saying something like "let them be obnoxious, that's their right because this is America". Was actually a very appropriate and presidential worthy response imo. That should have been marketed better by his folks, they had a great opportunity to use that moment to their advantage politically. But that's just me playing arm-chair QB.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I'm of the belief they miscalculated the whole "dark brandon" meme phenomenon. I bet if they had a do over they would opt to give this speech in daylight or something. Who knows.

13. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

17853F80-99D6-40A0-846D-4153B035EFBF.jpeg

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Biden's PR people are complete dipshits

ole_orange likes this.
  15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If anything the past 20/25 years of American politics has proved is that simply holding a position WH doesn't necessarily equate to someone being particularly brilliant. Our modern president's love occupying the WH with idiotic "yes men" with glaring partisan blind spots. The days of president's like Lincoln surrounding themselves with people who vehemently disagree with their agenda as a way to protect against political groupthink is long gone.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are we prepared to hear that both partisan views are fundamentally flawed and that many of the most widely held beliefs on a path forward are broke-[penis]? I don't think we are. So we hear half of it at a time.

17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

No, we-aka the folks in charge of running both sides-definitely are not prepared to scrutinize and understand the flaws of their respective competing partisan worldviews.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's not keeping Rettig as IRS commissioner. This is my favorite decision of his administration.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

They seem to be shaking things up over there in general. Which seems necessary if people are waiting years for things.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Trying to and doing are two different things. They've still got a long road ahead of them to get to competent level, much less good.