Revisiting the 2021 Football Coaching Search…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Sep 24, 2022.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

So Josh Heupel has been here 18 months now.

He took over a 3-7 program, under NCAA investigation, with essentially every major starter transferring out of the program. A national laughingstock, a has-been of a program, a roster in shambles…and he was a hire that most all of us viewed to be Danny White’s safety valve after swinging and missing on all the candidates he really wanted.

So let’s look back at the other reported names in that coaching search, as Josh Heupel takes his 4-0 Tennessee Vols into a top 10 national ranking this week…

- Tony Elliott: Clemson OC at the time. Now the head coach at 2-2 UVA. [uck fay] him. Didn’t want.

- Matt Campbell: HC @ unranked Iowa State. Voluntarily lives in Aimes, Iowa. Doesn’t have the sack to saunter into SEC ball. [uck fay] him. Didn’t want.

- Sonny Dykes: HC @ 2-2 unranked SMU, just took an ass whooping from a TCU team not coached by Gary Patterson. [uck fay] him. Didn’t want.

- PJ Fleck: don’t even get me started. [uck fay] him. Didn’t want.

- Jamey Chadwell: still dominating the Sun Belt. [uck fay] him. I might’ve sorta wanted him. Sue me. [uck fay] you.

- Gus Malzahn: HC at unranked, unexciting UCF. We were so low, half of us wanted to settle for Auburn’s garbage. [uck fay] him. Didn’t want.

- Lance Leipold: now HC at undefeated Kansas and doing a helluva job. Can’t speak highly enough about the job he’s done there thus far. That said, [uck fay] him. Didn’t want.

In summary: Though he was nobody’s first choice, the 18-month eval suggests he was as good as it gets amongst the options we had.

Who knows how it’ll all shake out - but early in year #2, Heupel has Tennessee ranked in the top 10, holds a victory over a top-20 Florida team, a top 25 road win, and leads a top 5 scoring offense nationally.

At this moment in time, I’d have to grade the hire an A. Can’t imagine anyone doing a better job with the hand he was dealt.

I’m summary, thankful for Josh Heupel, and all other coaches can go [uck fay] themselves.

MWR, Poppa T, CardinalVol and 9 others like this.
  2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Would you trade Heupel today for any of the names on that list?

3. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t, but Leipold would be interesting.

YankeeVol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Message board perfection.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not many thought 4-0 was possible 4 weeks ago. No one thought it probable. He's doing this with not a full cupboard too.

6. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Safe to say he’s won all of us over. It’s a breath of fresh air to have a head coach who you can feel comfortable in his competency.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nope, and if I had to pick one it would be 3-0 Kansas coach Lance Leipold because that man may be a wizard.

justingroves likes this.
  8. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Dykes is at TCU now...and 3-0

9. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

And it seems he genuinely loves coaching here

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Probably wouldn’t trade Heupel for Leipold, but if I were Kansas, I wouldn’t trade Leipold for Heupel. Clear best two on the list.

A-Smith, VOLinDAWGland and OneForVol like this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His resume shows he'll be an awesomely average coach for a few years and get fired or inexplicably get offered a job he has no business getting

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Liepold is the only one even in consideration

PilotFlyingJ and OneForVol like this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Also a coach White hired at one point.

CardinalVol and justingroves like this.
  14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

No clue how he would do with the extra pressures on recruiting and boosters at a school like Tennessee but that guy can flat out coach. And it is obvious.

Glad we have Heupel though.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That dude is straight shook

IP likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sucks to be a Florida fan

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Yup. Of course hiring Liepold probably woulda incited an even bigger initial meltdown from our fanbase at the time than DW hiring JH did. I know personally I would have been very unhappy with hiring him at the time.

20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain