Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Foden with a hat trick, too. Sheeesh

tvolsfan likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

our starting RB got hurt, out until 2023 probably. Dest gonna have to play a bunch

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Late to the party here, but as someone who adopted Arsenal a few years ago because the parallels reminded me of Tennessee football being a historic club who had fallen on hard times, this season so far has been incredible. Top of the Table. Hammering the Hot Spurs this past weekend is as good as it gets for Gunner hooligans. There's an eternity left in this season but it will be interesting to see if Arsenal can continue this pace and seriously threaten to win the PL. PL football is incredible theatre-it's like SEC football on steroids. Makes the MLS seem unwatchable when you contrast the level of skill and passion between the two leagues.

Also as someone relatively new to following PL football, the whole relegation aspect of the PL still blows my mind. Such a diabolically entertaining and unique component of the sport. Being literally kicked out of a league for sucking ass is incredible.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. NorrisAlan

European soccer is exactly like college football is here. I love it.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

I really don’t like Arsenal. To be fair I don’t like them any less than the rest of English football.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Gunner hooligans are called Gooners. And yes battering the Spuds never gets old.

ole_orange likes this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’m still learning all the lingo and traditions, but I do find the fanbase of Arsenal to be rather endearing. The true die hards are ready to explode after years wandering in the desert. The parallels of Arsenal football fans and Tennessee football fans is awesome. Two sleeping giants that seemingly are on the verge of finally awakening.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Even Arsenal have been better than Tennessee over the last 15 years. It’s not been much more but at least there’s been some silverware.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’ve been taught the only hardware that truly matters are PL and Champions League titles. Anything else is just whatever.

I started first following closely at the end of the Wenger era. His situation was eerily similar to Fulmer. A long time hall of fame championship winning coach who got lazy, stale and entitled-thus ultimately causing the destruction of everything he once built.

10. NorrisAlan

FA Cup is a big deal, too. The Carabao Cup is meh

The Dooz likes this.
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What’s the Europa cup deal? That’s not anything that important is it?

12. JohnnyQuickkick

Winner qualifies for champions league. It’s not the champions league but it’s not a bad trophy. There’s a lot of clubs in it that won’t ever win a champions league and it means a lot to them. Big clubs usually play second teams until the knockout rounds and it gets pretty good. There’s always a few champions league quality teams in it

13. NorrisAlan

Haaland sitting on another UCL hat trick. Unbelievable.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Correct. And it’s an even bigger deal for Arsenal, as we have won it more times than anybody else.

15. NorrisAlan

I think City has the Carabao Cup on permanent ownership, we just lend it out every couple of years.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah group stage is usually pretty weak but I’d argue the quality of teams in the knockouts is pretty high and the matches are excellent.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Citeh probably only cares about it when they’re trying to do the quadruple.

Only Tottenham would lose their shit for winning it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

You don't like group games against Dzcheciokokich Locomotive?

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I mean I’m going to watch us play Bodo/Glimt bc I want to watch our second and third team guys give it a go.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I get to watch that today in the Champions League!