The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

One of my favorite threads from TOOS because there were a lot of informative posters over there to help find good country music you just can't find everyday.

That said, I'm starting out somewhat mainstream. I had posted over there that I think Miranda Lambert is the best thing mainstream country has going right now and I still believe that. JG steered me towards the Pistol Annies (a trio effort with Lambert, Ashley Monroe (who is phenomenal) and Angaleena Presley (whom I know nothing about). I'm halfway through the cd, and I definitely recommend it to any country fan. Great sound (with lots of steel guitar) and superb country lyrics.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

kenny chesney is the best right?

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

jamey johnson is great

4. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

Jason Boland
    Casey Donahew
    Drew Kennedy
    Charlie Robinson
    Aaron Watson
    REK

This list is typically in rotation on my MP3 player for the last year or so. Turnpike Troubadours is the latest addition, but these are pretty much it.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

This might have been a bad idea. All my deployment money (that didn't go to new golf clubs) might get sent to iTunes if I'm not careful. I'm obsessed with checking out new music.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

For some reason I can only listen to Old Crow

7. MacReady

MacReady New Member

That's because Old Crow is [uck fay]ing awesome.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  8. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I like to do an 8 ball before I go listen to one of their shows

9. kev2012

kev2012 New Member

oh, I assumed by the title of the thread that 8th Style meant to piss on country music because it [uck fay]ing sucks ass!

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I know there are lots here that do not like country, but I also know there are many that do. George Strait has always been the great exception for me. He's one of the most commercially appealing artists of my lifetime and he rarely writes any of his own stuff, but the stuff he puts out is always fantastic. When I start listening to his old stuff I typically get stuck listening to him for days on end. "Amarillo By Morning" isn't anywhere near my favorite country song of all time, nor is it even my favorite song of his, but it just might be everything country music is supposed to be and thus the perfect country song.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If I listen the Amarillo by Morning once, I'll listen to it 100 times straight.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This is the best George Strait song imo and it is one he actually wrote, which is sort of astonishing.

[video=youtube;M1o0mP1WKHQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1o0mP1WKHQ[/video]

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This one is also solid.

[video=youtube;3I0T2Vwr8yM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0T2Vwr8yM[/video]

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Or maybe this is the best one of all time.

[video=youtube;_Nh-NsqBsGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nh-NsqBsGE[/video]

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The Chair is also very, very good.

Also, if you get the chance, listen to the song Arkansas Dave. His son wrote it and he played it at the concert here last year (or was it 2 years ago now?). Either way, it's of the old Cash/Haggard/Waylon/Willie genre. Good stuff.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We had a guy come do a concert this past Saturday at one of our big frat parties. His name is Clayton Anderson. Seems like he could could rise and become famous. Dude was a great entertainer!

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

It doesn't say anything at all about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk.

Great song. I like "I Can Still Make Cheyenne" slightly more.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Bet that place was crawling with chicks....oh nevermind.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I grew up with country music being pounded at my ears every day, lived next to Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, Ernie Ford was on local radio, many if the pioneers of what became Bluegrass were on local radio and gave live performances. And I grew to detest it over good ole rock 'n roll. Now, as I have aged, and have learned to appreciate music as well as play and sing it, I have now grown to understand the genre, and have re-discovered it's appeal.

But now do not misunderstand, most current "country" music, or I should say what claims to be country music, is not included in the above statement. I will say George Strait is closer to the true genre, and I say Vince Gill is an excellent musician. Call me old school if you wish, I appreciate the compliment.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Actually, it was. It doesn't happen often, but there were quite a few chicks on campus this entire weekend.