Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is no type that efficiently stands on its own. A mix is the most efficient way forward because different sources excel in different circumstances

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’m sure they have a long term goal on replacing them but haven’t currently been replaced.

Solar is really energy intensive and dirty on the creation side that’s hidden by being produced in China and in most of the northern portions of the country will never get back to break even on energy input.

Wind is a way better option but solar seems king with the hippie types and gets the most attention.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bro, don't talk about solar being dirty when talking about continuing coal. That's not a logical set of positions and generally a talking point of the fossil fuel industry. Mine once to build panels that last 20 years and can be recycled, or continuously mine to produce fuel that is single use and then is pollution for a century.

Only in a vacuum is solar "dirty." Harmonized lifetime emissions and environmental analyses across generation types show this unequivocally. If solar is dirty, coal is sticky human shit.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember that big toxic solar ash spill that has never happened.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Roads are a sheet of snow and ice here. Always fun.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I guess I just wasn’t paying attention because I never saw it coming today.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Drove 6 hours from Charleston WV to avoid the snow tomorrow but got surprise snow today. Traversible but hairy.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How about a 5 minute hail storm and major temp drop. Wasn’t the biggest hail but some were bigger than others and coming down with intent.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. Ssmiff

Brutal. Daylight savings time kills me getting dark at 4:30. I’ll look up ready to go to sleep and it’s 6 pm. Can’t imagine dark all the time. Unless they have some special sunlight glasses you could wear half the day.
    Sunlight contacts. Hmmm.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's not daylight savings time, that is the absence of it. We are in standard now. Daylight savings starts in March.

12. Ssmiff

semantics. Point is when it’s dark early, it sucks.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Imagine going 2 whole months not being able to see smiff

14. Ssmiff

not sure I could do it

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's more than semantics, Congress almost passed a law to make daylight savings permanent, which would have meant it would not get light until like 9 or 10 am for much of the country in the winter. Because they didn't understand it.

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Move to the real Tennessee. We are on the western side of the time zone and it never gets dark here before 5:15, even in mid December.

cpninja likes this.
  17. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I used to hate afternoon classes in college and getting out of class when it was already dark, so depressing.

18. Ssmiff

School cancelled due to wind

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Cancelled here due to the possibility of wind.

justingroves likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My father would have laughed in your face if you asked him if he would cancel school for wind.

justingroves likes this.