POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Even though it won't go through that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it. We should blast any bat shit crazy legislation proposed by either party, even if it stands no chance of passing, and especially when it's a blatant f**k you to the vast majority of Americans.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not this session, but the ball is being advanced and the idea of abolishing the IRS is being normalized.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nope.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It was only talked about though to deflect on a current problem. But I do agree we need to call out shitty legislation when its proposed.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It won't get anywhere if we are going to tax home purchases at 30%. That is DOA.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That is crazy. I plan to talk to a certain senator about this as I believe he is in favor of it. Love to see what he has to say.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same problem with vehicles, which will have trickle down effects on air quality/health long term.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Definitely a problem with vehicles with how inflated those prices have become. Exemptions would have to be made for major purchases and possibly a lower tax on non prepared food items. No matter what it doesn't look like it could work if we are going with a number like 30%.

9. HCKevinSteele

I'd be willing to bet in time we'll learn that there was rampant price gouging going on and the price spikes cannot be fully (or perhaps even close to fully) attributed to the bird flu.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Certainly on the back end. What is going to bring prices down quickly? Nothing. No such mechanism. Same as gas spikes.

11. HCKevinSteele

I don’t know about quickly, but an investigation by the FTC wouldn’t hurt.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

A full blow recession like 2008 would probably bring some prices down.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good point, and that is where this all may be headed. People are getting ringed like towels. At some point, they're going to be dry.

zehr27, NorrisAlan and HCKevinSteele like this.
  14. HCKevinSteele

I know there's nothing as fundamentally big like the sub prime mortgage problem to cause one, but with each passing day it's harder for me to see how the economy doesn't break. The average American family is drowning right now.

zehr27 likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Another one is imagine the cost of building materials jumping up 30%. I just don't see how you can flip a switch like this and not see that there would be shock waves that many people and businesses could not survive.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The fed's rate hikes will do it. Not that I am saying their actions are out of line, because this is the best tool they have to fight inflation.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

High interest rates and homes that are over priced, everything should be fine...

18. HCKevinSteele

I really don't understand how people are paying what they are for homes at current rates. I have to believe many buyers, if not the majority in the past year would be kind of screwed if rates don't come down and they can refinance.

Feel sorry for the ones that said we'll just tighten down on the grocery budget until we can refinance.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rates aren't coming down any time soon, imo. We just went through a period of historically low rates. That wasn't the normal, this is. This is still low. Anyone hoping for lower rates is probably in danger.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator