Worst Tennessee Team Ever

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Sep 2, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Anyone? I won't include crap from the 1890's or anything way, way back. But, what's the worst ever? I'd probably go with 2008. In my mind, that was an 8/9-loss team that overachieved at the end of the season.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1988. 08 team beats them by 2 to 3 TDs.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Last year was pretty bad as well. I don't think the '08 team was that terrible outside of the abomination that was the quarterback position.

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The 2005, 2008, and 2010 teams all seemed awful in their own way.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, it's a confusing question. Give the same coaching staffs to all three teams and 2010 loses 100% of the time. I still have a hard time believing there's ever really been a worse crew than the 2008 team. Seriously. After the Wyoming loss we had lost to two teams that got their coaches fired. Our only SEC win was over a team in the same situation. We had zero wins over teams over .500. It was a borderline miracle we rose up and defeated two bowl-bound (albeit still shitty) teams to close out the season. Otherwise, it's easily the worst season in Tennessee history.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

2010- Worst roster UT has had in some time
    2008- Least enthusiasm, energy, was a miserable season all around
    2005- Biggest flop

7. cotton

'05 was a group of underperformers that met a brutal schedule.

'08 and '10 just sucked.

8. cotton

I'll agree with that.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

My memory goes back to the late '70s. I have to say that the '88 team is the worst. They got absolutely sledgehammered by people early in the year. Washington State scored 52 points with Steve Broussard out injured. Had he played and Dennis Erickson not chosen to call off the dogs, the Cougars would have scored 80 that day.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Could the 08 team score 2 TDs? Against air?

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Wade Houston's last basketball team was the worst team I've ever seen in a UT uniform. Raleigh's last squad was pushing them.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Crompton looked like a badass against air.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Air might be a tougher opponent than the 88 defense. If they employed the run run run strategy of late in the year, it would not be a contest.

14. UncleNeyland

UncleNeyland New Member

I was only 10 yrs old, but in 1977 the Vols were 4 and 7. I was probably more concerned with the worst 5th grade teacher ever, but I do remember gloom, doom and agony on Saturday afternoons.... and that was just in John Ward's voice.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011