22-23 season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by KyleAlexanderfan, Sep 15, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

They also really shot themselves in the foot with that unacceptable loss to potentially the worst LSU basketball team we've ever seen the other night.

They are on a 7/8-1 conference run, yet somehow the only L they have found during that stretch was to LSU. Brutal defeat

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It’s crazy this year. Think 3 ranked big 12 teams lost to unranked teams yesterday.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Was looking up our record this year in games with lead changes in the last five minutes…

It’s 0-3. Honestly could’ve sworn we’d blown more leads than that. (I guess we blew leads against Florida and Colorado, but much earlier. And the losses to Kentucky, Arizona, and Texas A&M involved us cutting the deficit to one or two and not actually taking a lead)

4. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Yeah it was something like 2-6 or 2-7 in 5 point games in the last 5 minutes iirc.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah we either win or lose

6. KyleAlexanderfan

Hope the committee doesn’t try to give us Memphis in the 2nd round. They won’t be a fun draw.

7. Tar Volon

I’m honestly not sure there is an easy second-round draw out there right now. There are no elite teams, but there are a million decent ones.

A-Smith likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For those who care -

Lundardi has us as a 3 playing Duke in round 2 (in Greensboro..............of course)
    Palm has us as a 4 with St. Mary's in round 2 in Greensboro
    Athletic has us as a 4 with St. Mary's in round 2 in Albany

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

All of these are fine.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The principle of getting Duke in Greensboro is irksome, but none of them scare me.

This team is capable of both beating and losing to all other 67 teams in the field, including current Big Sky 9 seed Northern Arizona who made their conference semis.

justingroves, Tar Volon and Poppa T like this.
  11. KyleAlexanderfan

Duke is trending up a bit. With their talent, I don't think we want that draw. Similar feel to Michigan last year. But they are in comfortably.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We've won back-to-back games once since the end of January and half of those losses were to teams worse than whoever we'll face in the second round assuming we make it that far.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you're saying we are due, sweet.

justingroves likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Still more enjoyable arguing about how bad we suck as a 2-4 seed than having to win the tourney to get in or worried about last 4 out.

justingroves likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm just not putting any effort or energy into war gaming who we might play and where. I'll watch the games and hope to be surprised, but I'm not scheduling around the 2 week. It's definitely a better spot to be in than hoping to make it through the bubble.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My take away from this season. We are wildly inconsistent. We don't have a "go to" scorer. We can get mentally confused and flustered.

I do enjoy not being on the bubble. I don't enjoy "anybody can beat us".

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bubble stuff is not fun when it is your team.

18. Ssmiff

IP likes this.
  19. Tar Volon

I agree with most of this, but I’m actually becoming less convinced of the bolded. We have a go-to scorer. It’s Vescovi. But the problem is that other teams know we have a go-to scorer and will harass the hell out of him and make us beat them four-on-four, which we can’t do. Watch the last five minutes against Auburn (actually don’t, because they sucked). Vescovi didn’t get a clean pass within 30 feet of the basket. We need Phillips, or JJJ, or Nkamhoua to take over with more space on the floor. And none of them have been able to do so consistently.

20. Ssmiff

And for those who wonder why we won’t look as good defensively, look at ZZ defensive numbers. Ball pressure preventing teams from getting into their sets isn’t tracked.

RevBubbaFlavel, A-Smith and utvol0427 like this.