Vols prone to fumbling, interceptions

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by VolDad, Sep 6, 2011.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Montana coach Robin Pflugrad knows what the scoreboard said: Tennessee 42, Grizzlies 16.

But he also knows what he saw, and what Cincinnati's coaches will see when they study tape in preparation for Saturday's trip to Neyland Stadium.

"The ball is on the ground five times, and we don't get one of them," said Pflugrad, who was Oregon's receivers coach before taking over at Montana. "And the two interceptions we did get, both were pass interference calls.

"It could have been extremely close going into the fourth quarter ... I don't think it was an overwhelming situation."

UT, playing before a crowd of 94,661, was a 28-point favorite lining up against an undersized FCS team with a first-time starting quarterback.

Montana sophomore quarterback Jordan Johnson knows what you might expect him to say, but he knows what he heard - or didn't hear.

"I really didn't notice the crowd," said Johnson, 19-of-36 passing for 226 yards with a touchdown and an interception. "It wasn't, to me, that much louder than where we play."

The one-hour, 40-minute weather delay might have sapped some of the crowd energy, but Washington-Grizzly Stadium has a capacity of 25,203.

While noise wasn't a factor, UT's overwhelming talent and speed on the offensive perimeter proved pivotal.

UT's sophomore starting receivers had more than 100 yards receiving each with the Grizzlies loaded up to stop the run with seven- and eight-man fronts. Da'Rick Rogers had five catches for 100 yards, and Justin Hunter had 146 yards on six catches.

"I thought they lost two outstanding receivers last year, and I don't think they missed a beat in receiver play," Pflugrad said. "(Hunter) is a special guy. He has an extra gear for a really tall guy."

Pflugrad believes UT sophomore QB Tyler Bray has enough talent to play beyond college, even if he didn't handle blitzes particularly well.

"We did sack him (three times), but we gave him too much time to throw it, and he's an outstanding quarterback and will probably make a living at it in my opinion," he said. "You've got to hit those guys that are going to be in the NFL some day."

Montana recorded impressive hits on UT backs in short-yardage situations, dropping 1,000-yard rusher Tauren Pool in the end zone for a safety and stopping freshman power back Tom Smith on fourth-and-1 at the Grizzlies' 1.

"We're not very big on defense, (so) that was surprising," Pflugrad said. "I thought they might roadgrade us."

UT was true to the film study from a season ago defensively, which could have played into Montana's spread principles with better execution.

"Off video, that's what Tennessee gives you (the perimeter), but you have to take advantage of it," Pflugrad said. "They played quite a bit of two-deep (zone) coverage and tried to disguise it, blending in a little bit of man (coverage) schemes. "They brought the fire (blitz) off the field (wide) side, and that left the bubble screen open for us."

The Montana offense compiled 346 yards, 18 first downs and was 7 of 16 on third downs.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/...erceptions?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

2. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Easy to get ints when you knock the receivers on the ground.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, I don't get that. There was nothing questionable about the pass interference calls. He has a point about the run game and he's exaggerated the fumble thing.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm not surprised about the noise comment. We only got somewhat loud during their failed goal-line stand in the 3rd.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  5. The Last Vol

The Last Vol New Member

The quarterback still made the throws in their direction after they were knocked down. Doesn't speak well for him. Simms may not be as physically talented, but he wouldn't have made that mistake.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah, Simms would have made another, real mistake.

I will say that PI or not, the throw to the endzone should not have been made. Nothing was wrong with the slant.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ball wasn't already in the air, or arm in motion? Receivers were visibly on the ground prior to the pass?

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he stepped in it there. Poster is clearly using a sidekick phone and not a true batphone.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He might have a point, I don't know. Wasn't at the game and was blacked out here. Just trying to run down the play-by-play.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no, he stepped off in it. Both receivers were molested with ball in flight, hence 'ference. Otherwise, holding.

11. The Last Vol

The Last Vol New Member

The interception in the end zone was stupid. He had an open man. The one in the middle of the field was him forcing it to a man in double coverage. Luckily one of the guys pushed his receiver down.

12. The Last Vol

The Last Vol New Member

I was there, both of those throws were bad ideas before he made them.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

one might have been, but the one to Rivera was the right read and the right throw.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

so bray is a thug and he doesn't have the smarts to be a qb. interesting. . .

15. The Last Vol

The Last Vol New Member

I didn't call him a thug. Maybe you got that from all the guys that cried racism and then proceeded to demonstrate their own racist thinking.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It's like Gibbs gained a few IQ points.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

blatant IMO. Can make all the throws, but is a thug and thinks like he wants to be black.

18. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i think this "last vol" is a troll. he's gotta be, he can't be this stupid

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

why can't he. I think he's a football simpleton and racist, but we've proven for years that Vol fans with a keyboard can be utter morons.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

"It apparently originated from a gangster rap video"

from your blog. what are you trying to say exactly?