The financial risk of keeping Dooley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Nov 4, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

At this point, what would you guess the amount of revenue lost is by retaining Dooley through the season? My guesstimating is about 10,000 in the local area (within 2 hours drive) stay home. That's 10,000 less tickets, 8,000 less sodas and hot dogs, however much they would lose in merchandise sales. And let's not even start with the local businesses. Half a million? A million?

They know this, yeah? Am I wrong?

Edit: per game revenue loss.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think your estimates may be a tad conservative, but your overall assertion is dead-on.

3. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Yes.. but I still go on the premise that the deed is done after KY!

4. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

102,000 capacity
    -84,000 announced yesterday (not actual)= 18,000 unused tickets.

18,000 x $50 per ticket (conservative) = $900,000 in lost ticket sales.

Add in any money spent at concession stands, local restaurants, merchandise sales, etc... you are way over $1 million lost per home game.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well, not sure you would expect capacity against Troy even with a different coach. But still, a lot of money wasted.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Athletic department said a couple of weeks ago that over last season and this 1.3m will be lost in revenue. My guess its that number cumulatively goes to 2.5m through 2013.

7. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

While I agree with this, even with a competent coach, there are 95000-full capacity for Homecoming. What we had yesterday was closer to 50-55000 range. That was the smallest crowd that I have ever seen there and that includes the Marshall game with the hurricane monsoon rain.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If he's retained, I can certainly account for one donation they'll not receive and a pair of tickets they'll not sell.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I can't impact them as much but no more merchandise fir myself or Xmas gifts.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've already intentionally withheld purchasing merchandise. I'll wait until I'm in town during basketball season, and try to buy something basketball specific.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Individually, fans don't have much power. Collectively, they swing a pretty big stick.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I bought a sweet hat earlier in the season, so I'm good for a decade or so. The hat I wore all the time before this year was one I bought at the beginning of the '98 season.

I'm like Deets Joshua from Lonesome Dove. I'm not one to give up on a garment just because it has a little age on it.

13. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

exactly. I've brought this topic up a number of times in other threads. The empty seats, lost merchandise sales, restaurant sales being down, heads not being in beds, etc is the driving force behind Dooley's ouster at the end of the season. Add in the fact that supposedly Haslem and Thornton are volunteering to individually pay the buyouts off are all the proof Hart needs to fire Dooley and Co. The estimates of $1 million a game are mind numbingly low. No offense Jo, they just are. Keeping Dooley for next season isn't just more of an expense than canning him, it's a dramatically higher expense. The sad thing is that Dooley isn't just costing The University of Tennessee-Knoxville money. He's costing Knoxville money and (and I'm not exaggerating here) he's costing the state money through quite a bit of lost tax revenue. That's how big this is.

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

That number has to be really on the low end.

I thought Ainge said (2-3 weeks ago) he talked to a major donor who said it was more like 11-12 million.

15. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Say it goes down to 80,000 average paid attendance. That's 20,000 (really 22+ K) X $50 average ticket price = $1,000,000 X 7 games = $7,000,000.

Add in concessions, product sales ,etc.

Add in no additional bowl revenue since a Dools coached team only goes to crappy or no bowls.

That's reality if Dools stays.

16. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I think the right thing gets done.. that's alot money for both the university and the area ... And lord knows east Tenn. needs some revenue.