The Section YY6 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Sep 10, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Tennessee had a massive advantage with their wide receivers. They exploited it to the fullest.
    2. I'll be interested to see how Tyler Bray performs against a team that gets consistent pressure on him. My guess is that will come next week.
    3. The Zach Calloras hype is a joke. He's a slightly better version of Billy Jack Haskins.
    4. On the other hand, UC's wideouts are no joke. They could play anywhere.
    5. Tennessee has to find a running game. You have to move the ball on the ground to win in the SEC.
    6. I'm still not sold on UT's speed on defense. The linebackers just don't seem to have the wheels needed at the elite level.
    7. Butch Jones is a practitioner of coaching malpractice. UC's short yardage playcalling was an affront to the game.
    8. Tennessee's special teams are showing a little improvement. That's an encouraging sign after the last few years.
    9. Mississippi State was shown to be a sham today. Auburn will suffer the same fate at their ACC doppleganger.
    10. Georgia is starting to look just like the 2008 Tennessee team. If they don't come back today, they are done as it gets.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Gotta feel good about the offense. Poole has shown he can take it to the outside, we just have no run game up the middle. It doesn't look like our o-line is doing a good job of making holes, but the RBs are also just running into piles so I don't know who to blame.

Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, USCe and UF (to an extent) are really going to wear our LBs and secondary out I'm afraid.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe someone with real football knowledge can set me straight on this, but I feel like our O-line is not using proper technique in their run-blocking. They look just like they are pass-blocking, in that they sort of let the defenders engage them rather than engaging the D and pushing them back. I think that's why there are no real holes developing between the tackles.

Or I could be totally wrong. Strictly my own subjective observations.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That may be part of it. I think the real issue is the "second level" blocking. The fullback chipping the outside linebacker, a guard taking on a middle linebacker and so on. Remeber that there are six to seven down linemen on the offensive side to four or at most five down linemen on the defensive side. So any defensive scheme that moves blocking assignments around for the offensive guys will create mismatches and confusion.

That being said, we have to do better to compete in this league for sure.

5. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I'll preface this by saying I'm pretty Xs and Os stupid, but is it just me or does Wilcox's defense always seem to leave the middle of the field wide open. It's like every play there is no one in the picture behind the defensive line. Maybe everyone was spread out due to Cincinnati's spread and accounting for receivers or whatever, but it's like every play there is nothing in the vicinity behind the defensive line.

I'll hang up and listen.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No defensive scheme can cover all parts of the field. I suspect Wilcox feels better trying to keep the play in front of them than have one on ones with young defensive backs on the edges. He's been bringing a lot of pressure from around the ends the last two weeks as well, especially with Maggitt. That leaves Austin Johnson responsible for a lot of the middle. Brewer as well.

I think our defense is ok and has just missed out on a couple of huge sacks. Pocket passing teams I believe they will do ok with. It isn't a bad scheme if you tackle well. That's the key.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Makes sense. I think I'm so used to the 4-3 and seeing the LBs in the box most of the time that Wilcox's scheme is just throwing me.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember reading that the Spread is generally designed to attack the perimeter to open up the middle. If we don't cover the perimeter, they will eat us up. That's why the middle seems open, as you have to give up something.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

What the spread is best at is neutralizing the size and speed of a defense by "spreading" them out on the field. Then you use athletic, all-purpose type athletes to take advantage of "space". (The famous Dave Clawson maxim). The Montana's and Cincinnati's of the world can't play straight up against SEC teams because of size/speed disadvantage. You can use the middle to set up the flats, or vice verse. I've seen it work where a coach will call five quick slants in a row followed by five flat routes. Either way your cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties are having to account for a wide field every play.

In the NFL where size/speed is equitable, the spread is not as successful. I think it is that simple.

kptvol likes this.
  10. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

I want to know why volfanjo didn't post more on VN.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thanks volfanjo, good stuff.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Thanks. I was mainly a lurker and hung out in the hoops forum usually. I have no real VN beef with anyone and just got a heads up about this site a few weeks ago. Like it so far. Short answer is there are stretches of time when I just can't post, so I don't have the "volume" of the great ones.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well, I like your stuff. Hope you stick around with us.

14. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

I think 2012 &13 are gonna be some good years for the vols. The D and O line need improvement.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the much smaller field in the NFL (smaller due to overall speed on the field) places a much heavier emphasis on the ability to make guys miss, block well and doesn't allow for big free spaces like the college game does.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Good points both, and I think they fit together. If Cincy is able to convert those three short yardage situations, they've got a pretty good chance to put 18 more points on the board. Their incompetence in short yardage makes UT's defense look much better in the final score than it actually was.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, that fourth and inches where Pead wasn't even on the field wasn't the brightest call.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree with all this.

Losing Janzen hamstrings this D. He did a very good job last year covering up mistakes in the defensive backfield. He was going to patrol the deep half and let the others defend the short stuff. It's easier to defend when you have a future NFL player back there. Wilcox has to settle for Waggner and Randolph (who's pretty good but very young).

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just think if we had Thompkins on our team still. He was a stud. 3 studs at WR? Bray's head would explode with excitement!

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It's doubly hamstrung with the loss of Hughes. One other SEC caliber DLineman could cover up some of those coverage flaws.